HybridZ

LSX Long tube exhaust options & plans

So now that my long tubes have finally arrived been thinking about the rest of the exhaust. My current setup is dual 2.5" into a single 3" [just aft of the tranny] into a single 3" in/out offset summit racing muffler. Entire system is T304 SS mandrel.

Like to hear from the rest of you who got on board with our group buy as to what you've planned!

pic of my current setup

med_gallery_176_1016_1466212.jpg

med_gallery_176_1016_1633723.jpg

med_gallery_176_1016_1163410.jpg

I'm pretty much doing the same thing as Sunny Z (not sure about his setup but I have a LS-1 Camaro gas tank to accommodate the dual exhaust). I haven't decided on mufflers 100% but it looks like my choices will be limited to a "bullet" type muffler. I was going to run dual exhaust even before the group LT header buy- now with the long tubes I'm glad I planned for this. Now if I could just decide on a cam....

Edited by 78 LS2 Z

I'm pretty much doing the same thing as Sunny Z (not sure about his setup but I have a LS-1 Camaro gas tank to accommodate the dual exhaust). I haven't decided on mufflers 100% but it looks like my choices will be limited to a "bullet" type muffler. I was going to run dual exhaust even before the group LT header buy- now with the long tubes I'm glad I planned for this. Now if I could just decide on a cam....

I had my ls1 tank mounted, but i have since changed my mind. That thing is way big and awkward for the size it is. I'm going with a custom aluminum fuel tank (much cheaper than i first thought - ~400+pump+sender) So that will tuck the tank up excellently, and also leave ample room for duals, while still using the stock filler location, and having a 0-90 ohm sender. Basically everything i ever wanted!

I had my ls1 tank mounted, but i have since changed my mind. That thing is way big and awkward for the size it is. I'm going with a custom aluminum fuel tank (much cheaper than i first thought - ~400+pump+sender) So that will tuck the tank up excellently, and also leave ample room for duals, while still using the stock filler location, and having a 0-90 ohm sender. Basically everything i ever wanted!

This is kind of why I stated I was limited for muffler choices. I thought the tank was a bit large too but I think it will work fine with some bullet type mufflers. I am hoping that a 3" exhaust is not going to create ground clearance issues, I'm sure I'll have to adjust my ride height to some extent, hopefully not too much. It's all just a guess for me until I get the LT headers to my door and can trailer the car to the exhaust shop for a quote. Post some pics of your setup when you are complete, I would be interested in seeing your setup.

You guys running the ls1 tanks, is it possible to get a center exhaust? I plan on picking up a plastic tank soon and redoing the entire exhaust. I would like to keep performance in mind here.

mmmm maybe if you snugged the tank all the way to the front, almost to the diff. these things are just kinda awkward.

And to clarify, my mufflers will be in the tunnel, not out back (at least that's the plan now). So the actual mufflers will be before the diff, and then just pipes on out. However, it does make it sound different if you put the mufflers right at the tips, which i'll likely have room to do if i want. (see SLP powerflo exhaust for f bodies)

Clive,

I think it will be difficult to position the F-body fuel tank to allow center exhaust. Wish you had asked this question last week. You could have stopped by to try it on my car. The attached picture may not show much but I can mount the tank and take more images from your requested angles. I have the tank fipped 180 degrees to put the fat end near the diff and and the fuel fill on the correct side.

post-4776-076650700 1329871900_thumb.jpg

Craig thanks!

I would of loved to stop by with the gf. Maybe the next track day we will stop by. I am going to get her on WGI.

Anyway back to tanks, looks like the only way to have the center exhaust would be to mount a fuel cell. Craig can you just snap a pic of the top side (from the hatch area) so I can get an idea of space there is to maybe go forward with the f body tank. I am sure it is tight and would make sense to try to wrap around the tank.

J - looks like I have to start drawing the new exhaust on paper. Not in a rush because I have to save for a new set of heads to go with the cam, intake and now exhaust! lol

I plan to go 2.5" from collector to a 2-1 merge collector somewhere in the tunnel. I REALLY want to be able to have dual side cutouts either behind the front wheels or in front of the rears. I may make the cutouts small, like 2" oval, since they are really just noise makers. Single 3" beyond merge collector, under the diff and over to stock muffler mount with a 12" long 3" straight thru Borla XR-1 muffler. Not to be too specific. There just may not be room for the cutouts...

Hunting around for components to build the gap between the new long tubes & existing exhaust I determined it best to run dual 2.5" after the LT's then merge into a single 3" aft of the tranny. Anyway, found what I feel are the most reasonable cost/length/etc. transitions from Cone Engineering. Spent some time speaking with Rich [think he's the owner], got a quick education and he helped me narrow it down to their TR7-2530-SS 3"-2..5" transition. 4.1" long, 7 degree taper, ~$23 each, in 304 ss. Very reasonable compared to some of the other transitions out there and all made in house to boot!

Here is a link to the Cone Engineering website, here is the link to their parts pdf-look on pg 3 of 4, under "SS collector transition cones". Most likely will purchase my components [tubing, etc] from Columbia River Bends, click-here

Edited by 1 tuff z

It is possible to do a center exhaust, and use full size mufflers, with the right tank. I bought a more traditional tank, vs. a fuel cell, from Tanks Inc. Far enough forward for the center exhaust, but still room to get at the nuts for the rear diff mount. 15 gallon capacity and in-tank oem style pump.

Fuel fill works fine with just a simple welded up adapter pipe. Long tubes in my future, at some point, just have the John's Cars shorties on for now.

post-3729-049053200 1330110496_thumb.jpg

Edited by cheesepocket

Craig can you just snap a pic of the top side (from the hatch area) so I can get an idea of space there is to maybe go forward with the f body tank. I am sure it is tight and would make sense to try to wrap around the tank.

Clive,

Attached are some images for you to use in your planning. As you can see I have the AZC stuff in place with the R200 diff. Looks like you could inch the tank a little bit closer to the diff but it still might not provide enough room behind to tuck pipes and a 90deg bend for center outlet. My hatch area (topside) is still basically complete so you can't see much from that side apart from the cute little trap door I made.

post-4776-047024100 1330218378_thumb.jpg

post-4776-005037800 1330218403_thumb.jpg

post-4776-093063300 1330218429_thumb.jpg

post-4776-016896400 1330218460_thumb.jpg

post-4776-043534200 1330218575_thumb.jpg

Can you send a link to the fuel tank set up?

Thanks!

After running with side-exhaust straight pipes for a few days, I more than ever want to have some sort of electric cut-out directed to the side of the car that I can switch on and off to intimidate the competition. I'll probably do some sort of ovalized pipe. With short JTR headers I would pass them under the frame rail by the TC rod mount, but if I run the Long tube headers, I'll have to find some room for them somewhere else farther back.....so crowded under there....