HybridZ

I have to slam my door to shut it.

The door is out of adjustment. Something stuck in the door jam. Door seal not seated properly. Sprung door hinge. Something stuck in the door hinge. Damaged striker or latch. The more you slam the door, the more damage is done, and the worse you look. 30 minutes at a competant bodyshop and its likely your problem will be over.

The door is out of adjustment. Something stuck in the door jam. Door seal not seated properly. Sprung door hinge. Something stuck in the door hinge. Damaged striker or latch. The more you slam the door, the more damage is done, and the worse you look. 30 minutes at a competant bodyshop and its likely your problem will be over.

Thank you for the heads up brother. I am a more than capable competent person and am reading up on how perform your suggestions without err. Obviously I haven't used the door much. I've only owned the car for a week, and only have been driving the car for 3 of those 7 days. I am still in the process of learning her odd quirks, but am fixing them as well. I am thinking of starting a thread dedicated to her on this forum as a means of logging my work.

On a happy, but completely unrelated sidenote. We did 120 on the highway today. She had a lot more in her, and I wasn't even using 5th gear.

Edited by MazerRackham

Its likely that the door striker is too far in. Mark its position with a grease pencil, crayon, whatever you use so it can be wiped clean later. Take loose the 3 bolts at the body door jam. Slide the striker away from the car all the way out. Tighten it up there. Now test the door. Adjust to satisfaction. May take several or 1 adjustment. If this does not work, you may have another problem. ds.jpg

Edited by Heroez

I had the issue on mine as well. I have tried to adjust anything I could. At the end, it appears weather stripping was an after market replacement. It was too thick & diffcult to install.

So I went to the junkyard looking for a car with doors bigger than the Z (a coupe or a 2 doors hatchback). Modern weather stripping are extruded hollow rubber pieces that are clamped instead of being glued. It looks nice, it is new (I took mine on a wrecked car) and the doors are as easy to close as any car you could buy today at a dealership with no leaks.

I had that problem with the replacement precision door seal. Turns out it was operator error. I didnt have the door seal seated properly. I had to tap it with a mallet all the way around. So many people couldnt figure it out that the complaints ended the weatherstrip kits production and sale. Im very happy with the Precision weatherstripping kit when installed properly, works great and looks good. I wish I could buy one for my 240z. Maybe in the future it will be available.

Its likely that the door striker is too far in. Mark its position with a grease pencil, crayon, whatever you use so it can be wiped clean later. Take loose the 3 bolts at the body door jam. Slide the striker away from the car all the way out. Tighten it up there. Now test the door. Adjust to satisfaction. May take several or 1 adjustment. If this does not work, you may have another problem. ds.jpg

HAHHAHA I love your illustrations. Gotta love Haynes <3

So I'm still working at it... I'll report back in a little bit...

So now I need to fix the locking mechanism for the drivers side door. Get a grommet/gasket for the hatch, and a metal retainer clip for the hatch lock. IF ANYBODY HAS THOSE THINGS I'LL GIVE YOU $$

Edited by MazerRackham

Very common problem, and if you search, there's quite a bit of info on the latching mechanism, striker plate, adjusting for fitment, and etc. Seems everyone has this problem at some time.

Besides all the other things that could be causing the door not to close completely, here's another tip: clean and lubricate the latching mechanism on the door - make sure it turns freely. (Just a week ago my Son was SLAMMING his 280Z driver door to get it latched all the way (usually it didn't - only went to the "first click" sort of like yours - or just bounced back open) I checked it to make sure the plastic cover piece I installed years ago was still on the lobe of the latch, then I just cleaned it up, lubed the heck out of it, cleaned it up again checking all through the process that it rotated freely. The door closed completely on the first try and hasn't had to be slammed since.)

• 1 month later...

Its interesting you say move it out , away from the body. I will try that next too. Also my weather strip won't stay put. I'll try all your ideas thanks.

them bolts are 10MM FYI and I think the screws are size 1. Not sure if there are nuts in the back.

I was under the impression that the frame was twisted. Oh well it continues....