HybridZ

keeping the shop floor clean etc.

I'm working in auto industry, shoes are also important if you want to avoid any slippage.

I also use cat litter to absorb oil on the floor when required. Easy to use, cheap and easy to clean up afterwards.

I have a leaf blower but it works with gas, so that's not a good idea to use it in my garage if I want to avoid intoxication...

My favorite shop floor cleaner is powder laundry detergent for high efficiency washers (in the old days, plain old tide...)

It will degrease extremely well, not have a lot of harmful chemicals to screw with the lawn you inevitably hose it off into, and usually is already around the house!

Broadcast it directly from box onto a spill, coat with a little water, and then using the red pushbroom from Grumpy's Link, mix it all together. It will emulsify the oil and break it down.

The Tide rinses clear without leaving any residues on the floor. If you let it sit it will work on 'stains' in the concrete if unsealed, but there are powders specifically for that which will 'extract' the oil out somehow. I used it in the PetroChem plant I worked at years ago but can't remember it's name. Better than white bricks for getting up oil stains in unsealed concrete.

Tide leaves my paint a dull matte grey when done...if I can look across the floor and see 'shiny' in the light, I KNOW something is there that shouldn't be. This is why I've always painted (sealed) my garage floors with MATTE BATTLESHIP GREY two-part epoxy paint.

A shiny floor looks nice an all, but it hides gasoline spills, brake fluid, etc. A matte finish cleans up just as easily and when you see shiny you know: DANGER!

I gave this last speech at a safety meeting at corporate HQ one year, and unknowingly changed company policy instantly. Apparently none of the safety gurus had ever considered the 'matte' as a safety point. Within a year all new plants were getting semi-gloss on the shop floors. No more high-shine sealants. :huh: Oops, didn't mean to make you spend money, sorry! :P