HybridZ

383 V8

PR280z

Hello All, I meet this guy this week that owns a 76 CHALLENGER. I was telling him that i own a few zcars, he though i was talking about the Z28! When i mention that what i have are JAPANESE MUSCLE. He knew right away . OH! THE ole` "CORVETTE KILLER" 240Z, was his remark. He asked if i`ve ever thought about a V8 swap on the Z. Sorry i`m a purest! But when he uncovered 2 DODGE V8 and said that they were for sell and it would fit the Z car, i changed my mind and my thoughts right away went to HYBRIDZ.ORG! I know there is quite a lot of information here in swapping V8. The question is which motor should i buy ? The 360 v8 or the 383 v8? Need to know quick!

The 360 seems to put it's torque down lower in the rev range, but the 383 has more torque, so whether there is already as much torque at the same rev point as the 360's peak is debatable without a side-by-side dyno graph.

It would depend on your application, low rev cruiser or mid revs play car, neither looks to count as a high rev screamer.

The non-biased half of me says go LS1 all the way. I love mopars but the old ones are just too pricey to build up HP for HP. If you happen upon a good deal on one and don't plan on modding it, go for it! But dollar for dollar I'd go with the LS1 if a pushrod V8 was in my future.

• 7 months later...

as much as im a chrysler nut the ls seems to be the easiest/best hp per $, as for 360 vs 383. 360 is a small block 383 is a bigblock the 383 can be easily brought out to 500 cubes but its still a big heavy engine, reliable and love to rev but heavy