HybridZ

Trying to decide which to get. 240, 260, 280

Ive been trying to do some research and maybe start a V8 240z build but it seems the 280s are way cheaper. Aside from the engine size what are the differences between the 240, 260, and 280? Ive seen some pictures of what I think are 240z that are very good looking, if the 280z is the same body than I'd probably just go that route and save some money and hopefully rust issues.

This Z is pretty much the look I want + a nice V8 power plant

5541247138d26654046eb.jpg

280z's are hefty. Like hundreds of pounds heavier than early 240z's because of more bracing/safety equipment. Depending on your power goals this may benefit you from having to reinforce the chassis

280z's came fuel injected so they have bigger fuel lines, again that will help you because you won't have to redo the lines, depending on your power goals.

Look wise, they are pretty much identical ones you swap the bumpers out. Biggest thing when I got my 260z was it needed to be pre 75 so I wouldn't have to smog it when I lived in California.

280Z would be a much easier car to swap a V8 in.

The manual transmission cars came with R200s, they were fuel injected, and most of the extra weight is in the bumpers.

Getting a car factory equipped with an R200 will save you from gathering the parts necessary to swap one in your 240z, and as stated the existing EFI system saves you from getting a fuel injected gas tank and running larger lines.

If I was choosing another Z, it would be a 75 280z. No smog, better fuel supply, more weight/bracing (for more power). I of course do not want a stock car and plan to track it quite a lot. Swapping everything on my 240z for a EFI turbo setup takes a lot more work (and money) then I had originally planned, and really wish I had a 280z at this point.

I concur with 75 280z. I do have trouble finding room to heel-toe in a 280z whereas a 240 has plenty of room for big feet. My 240z to EFI fuel tank conversion is still killing me. However, the new LSx style longtube headers were made based on a 280z floorpan, so that is a plus. 280z more likely to have R200 and airconditioning, too.

A small thread jack here, does anybody know what month the 74 260z started to use the 280z floorpan?

Later 260Z and early 280Z are my pick, but mostly from a high HP standpoint. If I was just looking for a little 300hp mild build and wanted full interior and such, the 72-73 240Z isn't a bad choice at all. In the end, whatever has the least amount of RUST is always the best buy.

And for what it's worth, my '75 280Z weighs less than quite a few people's 240Z's... and I've got a few extra pounds with a turbo setup. Last weight was in the 2500 range (2540 or there abouts irrc, it's in the weight thread). It had: bumpers removed, no interior other than seats and floor mats, lots of dynomat (blaaa), spare tire, some random tools, L28ET (no intercooler), 280ZX radiator, stock tank about 3/4 full or something. I listed it all on here when I weighed it. Point being, I was surprised and many without first hand 280Z experience were a bit too.

I could still convert to R180 and save some weight there too. Now that I've stripped the 280Z doors I'm convinced they're not much heavier either. Most of the weight in the door overall is the glass, window crank system, and the hinges. My 280Z is currently living in the garage while other things take priority over MS for now, but in the mean time I've been rewiring it, swapping doors to ones without natural weight reduction (rust) and will be running windowless doors. I'm shaving every mount and random piece off the car I can find, and I'm debating converting the tail lights to a simple LED setup for weight... I've considered swapping to a subie R180 for weight savings too, but that's a whole nother project requiring money.

My goal: A street driven rat-rod style Z that's track ready that weights in around 2200 pounds. If I'm right, I'm within 100 pounds right now, and I know where most of the weight left to get me there is...

I'm not sure that having a 240Z in the beginning would have saved me more than 100 pounds in the end. And I'm also convinced I could get a S130 to roughly within 100 pounds trim for trim of my 280Z, for what it's worth...

So in the end, the weight isn't a huge concern to me, but if you're planning on keeping it a "simple" project and don't want to get knee deep in project, then the 240Z can start to look like a good option. But just converting to 240Z style bumpers gets you 90% of the way there and isn't that big of a project, but still something to consider. The benefit though, is that if you're going the EFI route then the 280Z might make more sense. If you're going to have more than 300hp, then the 280Z might start to make sense. If you're wanting to keep your budget to a minimum, the 280Z might make more sense, as they tend to cost less from the get go for a low-rust chassis.

And all that said... I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 240Z if the right deal came along and I had the cash in hand.