L31 stroker too high compression

slowride

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These "tuners" have no clue what they're doing or talking about. You have a fully programmable fuel management system, there is nothing stopping you, nor anyone else, from competently tuning it besides some knowledge and research.

SDS has manuals for this stuff, it's not magic. Here are the links from their website.

This means that either you need to study up and tune it yourself, or find a shop that knows what they're doing.

Since you have a distributor, there is nothing stopping you from retarding the timing enough so it doesn't ping and tuning the fuel map to get your fueling right. Worry about ignition after you've dialed in you fuel.

Edited by Leon

thanks for all the detailed and informative reply's everyone!!

I am reading through the manual as we speak and learning about the SDS. I called SDS and they have been more than helpful as well.

I will still be posting more details for my motor here as we figure it out and whether or not I have a stroker.

SDS phone tech support is great. I've called them a few times, and got nothing but useful friendly info.

And you can run an SDS using TPS as load (Alpha-N).

You are getting all kinds of bad info from your tuners.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

So it looks like I dont even have a stroker.

P3040 Crank from a 280zx

N42 Head 107.88 thick

86.5mm bore

P86 100 or P86100 puistons with a small circle pop out (dome)

Have to double check but has a 79.5 stroke of .5 mm

Crane Cam 168-0012

168-17-03

That is what my mechanic sent me.

What a disappointment !!

Edited by slowride

Sounds typical. It's amazing how many vehicle's engines magically change when they're up for sale...

But hey, you made 150whp with your tune way out of whack! Should be able to pull a solid 175 once it's tuned right even with the parts you currently have. Did your mechanic have any specs on the dish CC on the pistons? I'd do a true CC measurement of the head and piston and get a REAL compression calculation and see where you're at. My bet is that you're only around 9.5:1 at best, which is perfect for a hot little street motor. You could even run 11:1 if you were willing to run a pretty wild cam. The cam you have now crane considered a "stage 2" cam and should be fairly hot for the street, but I've seen people run higher duration cams on the street.

Even with a few mild changes and put together right you already have 90% of what you need for a 200+whp build. I'd say stick with the crank you have and go from there. Since you're wanting the ITB setup, get all that work done along with port matching, clean up the chambers if needed, and get that SDS tuned by someone with SDS experience.

Ive been offered $5800 for my motor, trans, sds, ITB's and headers. I already have a VQ with 5,000 miles on it. I think I am going to dump money into the VQ, instead of the L series.

I only paid $2800 including a load of parts and brand new weather stripping, so I guess I did ok.

Thanks for all the help!! I'll be on the VQ forums for now.

Edited by slowride