HybridZ

Stock downpipes N/A?

BlueStag

I would just buy some headers if I were you. You've struggled long enough with the stock exhaust lol.

But I do have what I think is a New Old Stock downpipe for a 240z. It has two pipes that merge to one, and a flange that meets the manifold. It stil has a Nissan sticker on it I think so it has never been used. Just some surface rust. If interested I can send you some pictures and we can talk price and I'll get a shipping estimate to LA.

I would just buy some headers if I were you. You've struggled long enough with the stock exhaust lol.

But I do have what I think is a New Old Stock downpipe for a 240z. It has two pipes that merge to one, and a flange that meets the manifold. It stil has a Nissan sticker on it I think so it has never been used. Just some surface rust. If interested I can send you some pictures and we can talk price and I'll get a shipping estimate to LA.

If it is a tight two in the two to one, it is original.

I really don't want to spend money on a header. The engine is by no means built, and would not benefit from a tubular header. And I would experience more noise, not less. I am looking for a quiet exhaust.

Yes, please, a photo.

Blue Stag's post brings me to a question on how well the factory pipes work.

I've got many from various inline and V6 nissans and was wondering if anybody ever compared the ones that collect almost right away to the ones that collect about 15 inches further down.

I guess my question is whether anybody has optimized the best setup using factory nissan manifolds.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

Blue Stag's post brings me to a question on how well the factory pipes work.

I've got many from various inline and V6 nissans and was wondering if anybody ever compared the ones that collect almost right away to the ones that collect about 15 inches further down.

I guess my question is whether anybody has optimized the best setup using factory nissan manifolds.

There is no "best". Take a look at the exhaust sticky if you want detailed information, but if you want more low end torque then use longer primaries (collect further down) and vice versa for efficiency at higher rpm. I'm doubt there is a huge difference between the factory manifolds, but I don't have enough experience with those to verify. You can play with the 2-1 merge for minor gains at lower or higher rpm, depending on where you put the merge.

Exhaust Design Sticky

post-10222-002374600 1332278109_thumb.jpg

post-10222-027335400 1332278121_thumb.jpg

There she is.

The sticker just shows the company who imported it. It is in good condition, no pitting. PM me if you want to talk price. When I bought my car it had headers on it so I assume that someone bought this piece planning on using it then just decided to use headers instead. I have a stock exhaust manifold too.

Edited by Cannonball89

I believe MSA sells new downpipes with some of their exhausts. I would call and ask, and you have the luck of being local and being able to save on shipping.

Spoke to MSA, and no, they don't sell the downpipes separately, as a condition of their manufacturer.

Bummer.

Cannonball has a nice looking pipe, 3000 miles distant......

There is no "best". Take a look at the exhaust sticky if you want detailed information, but if you want more low end torque then use longer primaries (collect further down) and vice versa for efficiency at higher rpm. I'm doubt there is a huge difference between the factory manifolds, but I don't have enough experience with those to verify. You can play with the 2-1 merge for minor gains at lower or higher rpm, depending on where you put the merge.

Exhaust Design Sticky

My post specifically references the many different "downpipes" where the the merge is very different between the types.

I have at least 4 different types here and I did like the comparison between the different pipes.

As far as the pipe diameter, length, collector diameter and shape, collector length.........the formulas have not changed that much since 1975 when I started learning this stuff.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

That is not a stock downpipe, I don't think...my stocker didn't have the two donut-protrusions on the flange. Just a flat flange. Might be a part to a header, though.

My stock pipe does have the pipes passing thru the flange.

It just has a very short 2 to 1 compared to this one. As short as imaginable.

Spoke to MSA, and no, they don't sell the downpipes separately, as a condition of their manufacturer.

Bummer.

Cannonball has a nice looking pipe, 3000 miles distant......

Ah, that sucks. I was planning on asking them about that, if I ever needed a new one.

That is not a stock downpipe, I don't think...my stocker didn't have the two donut-protrusions on the flange. Just a flat flange. Might be a part to a header, though.

Looks stock to me, all stock downpipes I've seen have the piping sticking out from the flange. Now whether it's stock for a 240Z manifold, or 260Z, or 280Z, etc. I'm not sure.

The 280Zs and ZXs I've seen (my 76 and a 78 I had and various wrecking yard cars) have the shorter siamesed pipes, the 240Zs I've seen have the longer separated pipes.

BlueStag, have you taken a good look at the manifold side? It may be too corroded to seal correctly. The head interface on my manifold was so corroded that even after a resurfacing it was a narrow sealing surface. The cast steel will corrode over time. You might be replacing the wrong part. And, assuming that your engine creates a little bit of carbon in the exhaust, where are the carbon trails at the flange and manifold surface? That will tell you where exactly the leak is happening. You might find that you have a mismatched sealing surface, and some simple re-centering would fix it. There is a some play around the bolts at that interface, that will allow the surfaces to get offset. You could put some sort of witness material on the surfaces and bolt it together to see if it's an alignment issue or a surface flatness issue.

How about some pictures?

The 280Zs and ZXs I've seen (my 76 and a 78 I had and various wrecking yard cars) have the shorter siamesed pipes, the 240Zs I've seen have the longer separated pipes.

BlueStag, have you taken a good look at the manifold side? It may be too corroded to seal correctly. The head interface on my manifold was so corroded that even after a resurfacing it was a narrow sealing surface. The cast steel will corrode over time. You might be replacing the wrong part. And, assuming that your engine creates a little bit of carbon in the exhaust, where are the carbon trails at the flange and manifold surface? That will tell you where exactly the leak is happening. You might find that you have a mismatched sealing surface, and some simple re-centering would fix it. There is a some play around the bolts at that interface, that will allow the surfaces to get offset. You could put some sort of witness material on the surfaces and bolt it together to see if it's an alignment issue or a surface flatness issue.

How about some pictures?

Yes, the manifold could be beat, I suppose. I did a bit of cleaning of it while it was off the engine. I don't, really don't, want to take it off again. I am trying again tomorrow or the next day with a fresh gasket and different adhesive.

I have no difficulty finding the leak, although I cannot get a camera in there to photograph it. I just start the car from absolutely cold (so that the pipes are not hot) and reach around there and find it. It is coming out directly at the block, directly away from the middle stud.

Could be that I am cranking down on the middle stud too much.....I'll torque the other two a bit more than the center one.

Interesting that you have seen the longer pair pipes on 240s. As I wrote, mine, which came off a 260, is very short indeed.

post-21407-096314800 1332383800_thumb.jpg

post-21407-035100600 1332383840_thumb.jpg

post-21407-092752000 1332383927_thumb.jpg

Just happen to be browsing the FSMs. Here's the illustrations for 72 and 76.

I'm not sure exactly what the sealing mechanism was designed to be, but I think that metal rings are supposed to do the work. The rest is just carrier and alignment material. If the rings don't have a flat good sealing surface on both sides, it will leak. Have you checked the center rings of a used gasket to see what's getting crushed (good) and what's not (bad)?

Good luck with it.

post-8864-091290200 1332385536_thumb.jpg

post-8864-071750000 1332385581_thumb.jpg

Just happen to be browsing the FSMs. Here's the illustrations for 72 and 76.

I'm not sure exactly what the sealing mechanism was designed to be, but I think that metal rings are supposed to do the work. The rest is just carrier and alignment material. If the rings don't have a flat good sealing surface on both sides, it will leak. Have you checked the center rings of a used gasket to see what's getting crushed (good) and what's not (bad)?

Good luck with it.

Mine looks like the '76 one. Cannon's is like the earlier design.

The gasket is the size and shape of the whole flange, with five holes. Three for the studs and two for the pipes. Indeed the gasket has steel rings around the holes that the pipes pass thru. It seems to me that the rest of the gasket should be slightly thicker than the rings, but compressible. I don't get consulted when these things get designed.

Yes, the manifold could be beat, I suppose. I did a bit of cleaning of it while it was off the engine. I don't, really don't, want to take it off again. I am trying again tomorrow or the next day with a fresh gasket and different adhesive.

If you really want to play with the manifold to clean it up, have a look at the home chroming kits. Clean the pipe and flange up and coat the pipe and outsides of the flange with a coating of wax, leaving just the sealing face clear, then stick it in the chrome bath and build up a layer of chrome on the face of the flange. Once it's thick enough to fill all the pits and warps, just mill it off level and it chould seal again.

P.S.

Nice girl.

If you really want to play with the manifold to clean it up, have a look at the home chroming kits. Clean the pipe and flange up and coat the pipe and outsides of the flange with a coating of wax, leaving just the sealing face clear, then stick it in the chrome bath and build up a layer of chrome on the face of the flange. Once it's thick enough to fill all the pits and warps, just mill it off level and it chould seal again.

P.S.

Nice girl.

She's a big stinker, but she does photograph well. Unlike her daddy.

I won't be chroming. I'll replace it with a header first.