HybridZ

What tubing bender do you use?

I've been looking into tubing benders and hoping to find one for sale locally. The jd squared model 3 caught my eye as well as the pro tools 105.

The jd2 dies are very expensive, the pt105 can be had for 100$ less, plus dies are a little cheaper.

The only one I found locally was a "lowbuck" hydraulic bender, but I'd rather use the pt105 or jd2 m3 manual style.

Then there is the cheapest of them all, known as the "kinker" harbor freight tubing bender.

Some people have got them to work okay with modifications.

Personally I will be going with the pt105 or jd2 m3, which can also be upgraded to hydraulic.

I plan to use it for modifying my roll cage and adding to it, probably using 1.5" tubing. I'd like to be proficient at it, but I'm afraid I won't get my money's worth out if it which is why I'm wondering if a cheap bender would be enough.

What type of bender do you use, and what type of work do you do with it? Do you feel it lacks in any areas?

I've got the $400 hydraulic bender from www.speedwaymotors.com. It has relatively large radius dies (7" I think) and it can't do really sharp bends one after the other. For the price I think it's a good bargain and I am not going to be building a lot of roll cages, so it was well worth it to me.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/3rd-Generation-Hydraulic-Round-Tubing-Bender,6614.html

I stepped up and added an air over hydraulic ram. I'm old and lazy. You can get very precise with this bender, more precise then really needed for cage work. If you're good, you can do slightly compound bends (about 10 degrees off the main bend centerline). Helps with tricky spots.

JD Squared model 3. Been using it for 8 years without a problem, works great.

I've been looking at this same bender from trick tools.com, and I like all am buying one to build a roll cage. The material i am looking at to use might be 1 3/4 DOM 120 wall tube but for some strange reason i can't seem to find the DIE on their website was wondering what tube you find yourself commonly using and if im going a bit over kill?

JD2 model 3 all the way. Yes the dies are pricy but they are some of the best quality you can buy. I love mine and just converted it to air and damn I must say it is awsome.

I get 76 degrees with one stroke of the air ram. It is a harbor freight 8 ton air jack put on its side and filled w/ oil. Then bleed the air out of it and its good to go. It's diffenitly not the fastest way but you can be very accurate that way.

Here are a couple pics.

5458039e.jpg

5ff43645.jpg

Edited by robbs70z

I've been looking at this same bender from trick tools.com, and I like all am buying one to build a roll cage. The material i am looking at to use might be 1 3/4 DOM 120 wall tube but for some strange reason i can't seem to find the DIE on their website was wondering what tube you find yourself commonly using and if im going a bit over kill?

JD2 does make 6 different 1 3/4" dies. They come in 90 and 180 degree radius and 5.5" 6.5" and 7.5" radiuses.

Here's the link

The die sets are about 3/4 of the way down the page

https://www.jd2.com/p-44-m3-round-die-sets.aspx

The material i am looking at to use might be 1 3/4 DOM 120 wall tube .... im going a bit over kill?

1.5" x .095" wall for a S30 that's under 2,700 lbs with driver. 1.75" x .120" wall is for 3,500lb.+ NASCAR COT. Also. make sure the bend radius (CLR) of the die is at elast 3 times the tubing OD. For 1.5" you'll need a die that has a 4.5" CLR. I use 5.5" and 6.5" for 1.5" and 6.5" for 1.75".

I spent countless hours researching and reading reviews on tubing benders from race car builds to 4x4 builds and forums.

Speedway benders seems to be the most cost effective, versatile bender on the market. The JD squared requires a floor mount setup. Whether you drill holes in the concrete with anchors and drive bolts in every time you use it, or find a permanent place, it is required. The cost of the JD squared bender, + a die, + the floor stand is quite the investment. Also, the JD squared until requires quite a bit of horizontal space to do bends. A fairly large space is required for bending a main hoop, preferably a empty garage with no Z parked in it.

Now the Speedway Bender can be stored easily, its portable to help out friends (or rent on craigslist with a deposit and daily charge) and all of the bends require space in a vertical direction. That means you can work in a tighter area. Or drag the unit outside for a few hours and drag it back in. The customer service with Speedway seems to be top notch, as I read several people had issues with *earlier* versions of the dies cracking. Those have been replaced with no additional cost and they updated the dies.

When I can spend the money.. I will be buying a Speedway Bender

Edited by proxlamus©

My jd2 wheels around the garage doesn't take up space and have $700 into it total. That's all the metal for the stand the casters for the stand the air ram and die for it as well. If you want a quality bender that is going to last forever then spend the little extra cash and buy the JD2.

The JD squared requires a floor mount setup. Whether you drill holes in the concrete with anchors and drive bolts in every time you use it, or find a permanent place, it is required. The cost of the JD squared bender, + a die, + the floor stand is quite the investment. Also, the JD squared until requires quite a bit of horizontal space to do bends. A fairly large space is required for bending a main hoop, preferably a empty garage with no Z parked in it.

Exactly. The guy who bent my main hoop had the JD squared bender. He does rally cages for a living, and he had basically a bay in his shop with the bender on a stand bolted to the floor right in the middle. I don't doubt that it is a better bender, but if you don't have the hydraulic ram you need it BOLTED TO CONCRETE (or something else very substantial). You can unbolt it from the floor if you need that space, but I hope you don't need to get under the car where the studs are sticking up out of the floor then. It is true that if you have the hydraulic ram you don't need it bolted down, but then you're adding more money. And it does bend horizontally which means the tubing swings around the space. One could conceivably bend a main hoop with the Speedway type bender in a 3' by 12' space.

I use a JD2 Model 32.

It's amazing! It has a few cool features that the model 3 does not have, along with most other benders (anti spring back, easier die advancing, etc). I did not opt for the hydraulic option as I'm building my own ram setup. I use countersunk concrete 'threadsert' anchors and it works great. Bending 1.5" .120dom isn't even that bad.