HybridZ

What is the potential in a stock 5.0

SleeperZ

I'm not planning on building one in a Z, this question is on a friends Mustang. He has a '90 5.0, and says with stock internals, including camshaft, he could get his 5.0 into the 12's (at 5800 feet, in Denver). The stock 5.0's here can do mid 15's at best, so I'm thinking the only possible way he could get a 3200lb car into the twelves is with an intercooled turbo - like about 550 hp at the crank?

How possible? Wouldn't he need stronger rods or crank?

Hrm, BONE stock FOX Mustangs at sea level are lucky to get into the 14s if I recall correctly. Frankly I've not seen a bone stock one in awhile so perhaps I'm out to lunch. icon_smile.gif

550HP on a stock block is a grenade with the pin pulled. If you figure he needs that much power to get there at that elevation my advice is to aim for 13s. At 450HP on a stock block the clock starts ticking, it may last a long time, it may last one pass. These are thinwall castings and when it goes it will rip the crank straight out the bottom with girdles still attached if you've got them icon_smile.gif The shop I work with has witnessed this. It's not the crank or rods that go first, well maybe rod bolts, but the block itself. I have seen them cracked straight down the middle like an egg! icon_eek.gif

Would he consider a 351W? It's an easy swap and looks stock if done correctly. Consider the ATI blowers too as I think he'd be bucks ahead over a turbo. The downside is that turbos compensate for altitude changes and crank turned blowers won't. While you're at it weigh the car, I think you may find it's heavier than 3200lbs unless it's a coupe or steps have been taken to lighten it already. GTs in particular are portly!

Figure out the power you need first, 550HP just seems awful high to me but having never lived at altitude it's possible I don't understand just exactly how bad it effects performance icon_confused.gif

My Dad did a 88 mustang lx 5.0 conversion. He put a 351w All forged 11.0 comp with two stage nitrious and got mid to low 10's. Heads were aluminum and had some serious work done to them.

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

the 5.0 HO is the one to get i think, with the t5, world class or not, they can be had cheaply, i think its cheaper to buy the whole car, get the ugliest one possible and swap guts. crappy examples of the eighties fox body can be found in every corner of the globe.

Guest Anonymous

12's in that car at altitude with a stock cam? I won't insinuate that he's telling a tall tale, but doesn't that seem awful fast for a 3000+ mustang? I would have thought 13's and 14's? I don't profess to be a mustang/ford expert though, but it sounds awful optimistic.. icon_smile.gif

I would think rod and crank upgrades would be in order at some point (like when his motor shows it can produce a 12 sec time slip at altitude and doing it naturally aspirated...) icon_smile.gif He might want to run his numbers again because I can't imagine it not requiring some sort of beefy cam, better heads and or a turbo or supercharger to produce those results, specially at 5800 feet. icon_eek.gif At least IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

Guy I used to live with back in the early 90's (Barry Brickner new him) had a Notch back (COUPE) 88 'stang that ran 13.50's all day long with an MSD box, 3.73s, no cats, an Hpipe, and underdrive pulleys. Car was unbelievable for the mods, but those were it (I know 'cause I helped wrench the car). This was at sea level at Maryland International Raceway. Not likely your buddy will break into the 12s at that altitude... I know nothing about Mustangs, but I know about two. The one mentioned above, and the one my best friend ownes! His is a 426 Stroker and it is currently in pieces...

Mike Kelly