HybridZ

LS with velocity stacks

That is a great site. Thanks for sharing it with me. I'm not that brave to post there. This site is pretty gentle -so long as you don't skip the search function or get a reputation for street racing!

Mistafosta- touché. Can't argue with that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome. On a serious note: does it rock your world when you come down from a wheelie like that or does the car settle back down smoothly? That is amazing!

Its pretty smooth as long as I do it right. So far haven't had any really nasty touchdowns.

• 3 weeks later...

Its your car dude, thats the brilliance of it, you can do what you like. That being said. Im in the same boat as most everybody else. Fake parts piss me off, and those annoy me in the same way that the LS' FRC's annoy me, or any engine cover. and if i saw that at a car show i would laugh and remember it as the car with the fake velocity stacks, regardless of anything else done to the car.

That being said, words cannot describe how badly i want a set of ITB's on an LS1 with a Dat-Comp hood scoop, dat functional cold air.

they do look like theyre well made though, i will give you that

Yeah, I feel about the same way you do. I'm a little uncomfortable about them or I wouldn't have asked. Keeping them for now but I don't know if I'll keep them in the long run. I grew up looking at multi-port induction systems and wild 6 or 8 carb systems. I love the look, but I don't want the headaches. Thanks for your comments.

The australian v8 supercar engines have an awesome looking cross ram intake on them-a company like Kinsler probably has them

Something like this? If I ever built a V8 Car I would probably dish out the cash for a Intake Mani like this.

mdmp_1001_03_+1964_ranchero+v8_crate_engine.jpg

It looks great and is "real" but you have a couple of challenges associated with it. You have all those butterflies to synch. You also have a certain amount of mess and fire risk due to fuel standoff, float bowel venting fuel most, flame and fuel backfires and fuel drip from the venturis when you choke it, stick a float needle or flood it. To each his own. I used to get excited by this sort of thing but having lived with it, I'm in love with single throttle body EFI. There is a ford owner in the web club who runs this very setup. I wonder where he stands on it.

I think its pretty cool due to the fact that I love velocity stacks but its a bummer its not functional. You should try and figure out a way to run your intake through that bracket. Im sure it couldnt be too difficult and then it would atleast be functional.

I don't think the Aussie V8 Supercars use LSx motors. Even though I live here I can't stand them - more an open-wheeler man myself. Pretty sure the Supercars use old Aussie-made cast iron blocks, but I could be wrong.

(edit) Well I am wrong - hardly any production items in those motors.

I started this thread, for the most part, to gauge interest for turning my bracket into a prototype for a production run. I figure I'd have $85 in the stacks, plus probably about 50 in the bracket to get it plasma cut, dressed and bent. Then a few bucks for hardware and the run-around. So, I was thinking it would cost about $200 to make for other people. The interest has been poor, so I'm not sweating it. Once I got poor reviews, I've just had as much fun as possible ( I like some good-hearted teasing and practical jokes ). I wonder what function would be required in order to be considered "functional." They hold water well when it rains, so perhaps I could remove my hood and get an environmental conservation grant for rainwater storage. If I mountd a fan under them, I could state that they increase engine airflow...now maybe that will work - especially if I list them as a "must have" in a performance catalog. I'll continue this thread so long as it is fun.

you could mount them a bit higher and build an airbox, something similar to the 2003 and 2004 mustang MAch 1 shaker hood. Basicallt have the velocity stacks terminate in a plenum above the intake, then either ome right around to the TB or go to your filter for ram air or something of the sort. With a drain vent of course...

Apologies to 'randy 77zt' for reposting that you-tube link.

RebekahsZ - An issue with faux ram tubes is you need to hide the GM throttle body. Here is an idea to test you - reverse the manifold so the TB is at the rear. You would have to fabricate a concealed cold air intake and may even pipe it through the cowl but it would add to the illusion. I simply covered my intake with the scoop.

I like the ferrari valve covers :D it's not actually a ferrari motor tho is it?

Heck no, it's an LS1 with a few bit of folded aluminium sheet. The tubes are stainless but the trims holding the mesh were made from Coke Cola cans - you can still see the red paint on the underside.

post-1266-046560300 1336521711_thumb.jpg

post-1266-069219600 1336521735_thumb.jpg

post-1266-063323700 1336521762_thumb.jpg

post-1266-048332500 1336521830_thumb.jpg

post-1266-059094600 1336522570_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz