HybridZ

Low Oil Pressure

Dear Hybrid Z,

I, once again, turn to you for guidance. I own a 1977 Datsun 280Z and recently I've been experiencing some really low oil pressure readings. At idle the pressure is at 0. I checked my dipstick and there's plenty of oil....on the low reading of the dipstick :/

I changed my oil about 100 miles prior to this happening. I can't remember what the specifications of the oil was (got it done at the local Chevron gas station and the mechanic there said that Chevron uses their own oil...or something.) The car also idles rough and lower than usual. It used to idle at around 800rpm, but now it idles at around 600-650. After driving it a bit, the idle comes back up to around 750, but the oil pressure gauge, along with the dipstick, still state that my oil levels are low.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks everyone, cheers!

Edited by TheCrazySwede

The stock guages normally suck, and on top of that at idle an L normally generates 10ish psi of oil pressure. Could be a reason its reading next to nothing.

As for the oil change, Chevron probably used their crappy brand oil. If you're just driving around town it should probably be fine, but I would never take it there. You should find out what weight oil they used. Probably 10w-30 or 5w-30. Service manual says 20w-50 for reference.

Thanks for the reply, guys!

So it's my reading that is inaccurate? What about the lower rpm idle? And this might sound stupid, but is my dipstick's reading inaccurate, as well?

I ask this because I recently performed the first oil change done by me. I recently bought this Z, and about 100 miles ago, this same thing was happening. The gauge was reading low, along with the dipstick. I wasn't sure when the car's last oil change was, so I performed one there. Now, about 100 miles later, it's doing it again. I just want to know if it's safe to drive :/

Thanks guys for your help, it means a lot!

Edited by TheCrazySwede