HybridZ

V8 240z Z spring options

I am currently installing my smallblock 350 in my 72 240z and had a simple question on my springs.

JTR ( the handbook) says under hard throttle the car will pitch hard and stiffer springs are a must. As of know I have a stock springs and struts in the front and rear.

www.xenons30.com/springs.htl says the year spring lbs for a 72/73 is 103.6lbs.and a 75 280z is 127.7lbs.

So heres my question, I have a set of 280 springs and lower control arms with new bushings. Should I just so a swap, or buy stiffer springs from Elbach / arizona Z and so fourth. I do need to stay close with the same ride height for tire clearances. Or option B buying a set of coil overs for 125. on ebay and go that route. Either way I need to switch the springs and add new struts.

What are your guys thoughts or concerns. This is for a daily driver/ show car, mild 400 hp small block enginge 700r4 tranny. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again DatsunZman04

post-19467-022105200 1335554269_thumb.jpg

Any catalog that says a certain part is a "must" is just talkin' crappe to get an add-on sale. Separate the engine and suspension into separate projects. Do the engine and then see if you need to mod your suspension. If you need to mod your suspension, go to coilover suspension. Any of the aftermarket stock diameter springs are too soft to make any significant difference over stock-IMHO a waste of time and money.

Try Arizona Z Car springs. They are 180 lb/in front and 200lb/in rear and maintain stock ride height. I have used them with Tokiko Blue struts on two 240Z v8 builds and they work well for a street car. They were unavailable at one point so check with Arizona Z here:

http://www.arizonazc...om/springs.html

Edited by Miles

I'm using the Eibach 240/260z progressive lowering springs and the tokico illumina adjustable shocks recommended in the suspension section for the 240s. My v8 has aluminum heads/manifold/water pump etc, so I believe the engine is right around stock weight though. After the springs settled, the car handles well and rides at a nice even height front/back.

http://matt.loadedregister.com/240z/pass.jpg

http://matt.loadedregister.com/240z/driv.jpg

You should do a lot more research in the suspension section noting the pros and cons of the various spring options available. Think in terms of what is appropiate for your application and how much each approach is going to cost. A well thought out plan will save you time and money.

Any catalog that says a certain part is a "must" is just talkin' crappe to get an add-on sale. ...

JTR (Mike Knell) doesn't sell springs so there is no monitary motivation in his statement.

There is already a lot of good advice here. Miles advice is best of all. :)

Just do the ArizonaZ Track pack and call it a day :lol:

A few months ago I called Dave about buying springs and he basically said that he was no longer using that supplier and he was too busy to find a new source.