HybridZ

My LS2 oil pan hangs about an inch below my crossmember and is the lowest point on the car above the tires. I have already high-centered on my oil pan once coming out of a friend's driveway, so I'm with you. I'm spot welding a "brush guard" onto the bottom of my front cross member that drops it as low as the pan-but that still won't keep me from high-centering. My friend just ruined his oil pan on a beer bottle, thus the brush guard plan. I guess if you hit is just right? I plan to be really careful. If I put a skid plate on, I lose even more ground clearance - so that's out! If in doubt, go around. I knew the driveway was going to be close, so I went really slow and stopped as soon as I felt contact and backed up, then found another route out. Jumped right out to look for damage/leaks. I drove my car in and out of my own driveway a few times before I bought the house! Z-car wins over house - everytime!

Edited by RebekahsZ

The pan isn't as low as the X member, if I remember correctly (haven't had an engine in my s30 yet). I don't think people really go low enough for it to be much of a problem usually, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you end up having a problem. It's kinda tough to high center a Z on the pan since it's like right behind the front wheels at it's highest point. That is unless you have an engine swap that puts the pan lower!

When in doubt, just hit the problem spot really fast, you won't high center then :D . But I cant vouch for the Z motor, but my LS1 pan hangs about an inch below the crossmember, and I definitely plan on making a plate of some sort to go in front of it protect it from giant rocks and other road debris. Probably won't make and actual skid plate underneath it as that just lowers clearance even more.

-Will

Good stuff. Thanks guys! I will just have to wait and see, Hopefully I'll get the car on the ground by the end of this week!

Grr lucky! I have a few more months before I'm ready to let my car stand on it's own 4 feet :( Let us know what you figure out, I'm certainley interested to know if it is good to have or not.

Grr lucky! I have a few more months before I'm ready to let my car stand on it's own 4 feet :( Let us know what you figure out, I'm certainley interested to know if it is good to have or not.

Will do! Yea all I'm doing is coilovers/camber plates, brake master cylinder/booster, and RLCAs. It's taking a lot longer than planned but hopefully by the end of next week I'll be done for now :rolleyes: