HybridZ

Planning a conversion, how much might I pay?

So, I have a 350 ready to go. I will be getting a trans here shortly(haven't decided on which to go with). Aside from those two major components, what might I be expected to pay in order to complete a swap? It's not that I care how much it will cost for extra parts or labor or what have you, but it's more of an I just kind of want to know. This swap could be done with bolt on kits or with weld on custom mounts. I haven't decided how easy I want to make it for myself. But, to give you guys a clue of where I am at now, I have the engine on a test stand, running just fine. Tuned right? lol, no.

So, basically here's what I am after for cost estimates:

Engine mounts; bolt on or weld in style. If I can get info on both, it would be nice.

Transmission mounts

Custom drive shaft cost

anything else I have overlooked?

First you need to buy the Jags that Run manual on 240Z V8 conversions as it will answer 90% of your questions. Go here: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

Read the book several times.

Second there are a number of ways to answer your questions which have been covered in detail in many posts here over the last ten years. Every one of your questions has been covered at some point. The best advice is that you should buy the book above study it and search here on topics such as mounts, transmissions, project costs etc. All of the data you need is available in the various forums.

Your asked:

So, basically here's what I am after for cost estimates: $5k to build my first 240Z V8 and $10k to build my second 240Z V8 plus $3k for body, paint and interior. It depends on what you want.

Engine mounts; bolt on or weld in style. If I can get info on both, it would be nice. There are three companies that make the engine and trans mount kits. JTR, Motor Sports Auto and Johns Cars

Transmission mounts: see above

Custom drive shaft cost: Check your local shops for cutting and balancing

anything else I have overlooked? Yes. About a book full.

Let the adventure begin.

Get the book and just plan it out. You can get crazy with it or go keep it simple. Exhaust and driveshaft I consider to be biggest concerns. Try to get estimates on those. If your car is good and the body doesn't need any work then with engine and trans it should be under $2k.

Partial list:

1) What kind of condition is the engine in? Do a leak-down test of each cylinder to determine the condition. Remove the pan, the main bearings and the rod bearings one at a time, photograph and reassemble each one immediately. If you have the micrometers, measure the mains and rods for clearances. If they are OK, then replace the oil pump when down there. That is just good INSURANCE.

2) What kind of condition is the body in? Check for rust through in the floor pans.

3) What kind of condition is the suspension in? Check the condition of the springs and shocks.

4) The T5 is likely the best transmission for the money.

5) Plan on upgrading the Front Brakes to a larger rotor and caliper. Replace both front and rear flexible brake lines as a safety measure.

6) Plan on upgrading the rear differential, half shafts and stub axles.

7) Don't be afraid of purchasing the JTR kit for the engine and trans mounts.

8) Replace all the rubber suspension bushings with poly.

9) Replace the steering rubber dampener (puck) with poly.

10) replace the front sway bar with 1" diameter bar.

I've already built the engine. It's fine. Needs tuning, that's all.

There is a bit of rust, and I think I understand why replacing any spot of it is necessary. Any suggestions on improving the strength of the unibody? Welding is fine, I am an experienced TIG welder, but I don't want to put a cage in it.

I've already put new rear shocks in, as well as poly bushings on the rear sway bar and A-arms. I've still got to replace front shocks.

I've been looking at a T5 as the transmission of choice. So, thanks for confirming my thoughts on that.

Already was going to replace brake lines.

I already have an R200 rear end, what half shafts and stub axles do you suggest?

Please browse through the faq techinical section at top of forum. With that said the suspension/chassis subforum has all the info you will need about strengthening the unibody to handle more power than most of us know how to use( with some obvious exceptions, gentlemen you know who you are). The fabrication subforum has plenty of info as well. I waited until I found someone who was going sbc to ls(thanks sunnyz) and bought 90% of the mounting stuff. Paid pennies for a th350 on craigslist, and if I counted up all the other odd bits and pieces sensors, nuts bolts, battery, I would say I have just under 2000 in my swap. It is now driving and on the road. I bought an engine for a few hundred bucks that is included in that price.

Mr. Blah:

In looking at the number of posts you have made, it is obvious that you need to thoroughly study all of the relevant forums here to answer your concerns. Suggest also INTENSIVELY study the JTR conversion book.