HybridZ

clutch/Trans

mistah mofro

Ive searched and searched before posting this but couldnt find quite the answer im lookong for, I have a 225mm flywheel ( 6 bolt) with a 280zx coupe 5 speed and just purchased the matching 280zx clutch kit. I was having clutch disengagment issues (diagnosed hydraulics) so i dropped the trans finally and heard that the colars are different between the coupe and 2+2 which is 47mm to 53mm i think.

So what im asking is do i need the longer 2+2 collar if im only using 225mm, when i try to move the clutch fork all the way back the throwout falls off the fork but i did it in a rush so i can say its concrete.

Thanks

This comes up all the time and I just realized that I have the pieces in the garage to take the critical measurement. Assuming that the slave cylinder is the same distance from the back of the block and the flywheel thicknesses are the same, and the clutch forks are the same, then the distance from the bottom of the pressure plate to the surface that fork sits on is the distance that needs to be within a certain range. The pressure plate and the collar are the two things that vary over all of the combinations.

So here's a few pictures of a pressure plate with a long collar, a combination that I used to have on my car. The pressure plate is the one I used, the collar is not, bit it's identical to the one that was used with that PP.

The distance is 90 mm, or 3.5 inches, from the surface of the flywheel to the surface the clutch fork rides on. If I was starting from scratch with unknown parts, that's the distance I would shoot for.

Edit - the caliper measurement looks off in the picture due to camera angle.

post-8864-050150100 1337212647_thumb.jpg

post-8864-053939300 1337212653_thumb.jpg

post-8864-056765300 1337212661_thumb.jpg

Edited by NewZed

The distance is 90 mm, or 3.5 inches, from the surface of the flywheel to the surface the clutch fork rides on. If I was starting from scratch with unknown parts, that's the distance I would shoot for.

ok ill take a look at that when i get home

This comes up all the time and I just realized that I have the pieces in the garage to take the critical measurement. Assuming that the slave cylinder is the same distance from the back of the block and the flywheel thicknesses are the same, and the clutch forks are the same, then the distance from the bottom of the pressure plate to the surface that fork sits on is the distance that needs to be within a certain range. The pressure plate and the collar are the two things that vary over all of the combinations.

So here's a few pictures of a pressure plate with a long collar, a combination that I used to have on my car. The pressure plate is the one I used, the collar is not, bit it's identical to the one that was used with that PP.

Edit - the caliper measurement looks off in the picture due to camera angle.

Hey NewZed, you wouldn't happen to have the measurement for the flywheel your using this combination with would you? I'm building a setup some what from scratch and I can't seem to determine the correct collar to use. I have 3 different flywheels, and my measurements are a little off from yours, so I just want to confirms a few numbers.

Flywheel:

240z = 1 1/8in

280zxT = 1 1/8in

Ebay RB = 1 3/8in

Pressure Plate:

240z = 2 1/8in

350z = 2in

Edited by voong413

Hey NewZed, you wouldn't happen to have the measurement for the flywheel your using this combination with would you? I'm building a setup some what from scratch and I can't seem to determine the correct collar to use. I have 3 different flywheels, and my measurements are a little off from yours, so I just want to confirms a few numbers.

Flywheel:

240z = 1 1/8in

280zxT = 1 1/8in

Ebay RB = 1 3/8in

Pressure Plate:

240z = 2 1/8in

350z = 2in

The flywheel that I used with those parts measured a hair over 7/8" from the surface that touches the crankshaft to the pressure plate mounting surface. So the distance from the crankshaft mounting surface to the two surfaces of the ears on the collar that touch the fork would be 3 1/2 plus 7/8" or 4 3/8". From crankshaft through the stack of flywheel, pressure plate and collar to where the collar contacts the fork.

The flywheel thickness itself was 1" from back to front. It came on a 1976 280Z L28 and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original.

Good luck with it, I'm sure there's leeway in the range possible that will work. I'm interested in the measurement you end up at, just for the record.

Quick question, when trying to put the transmission back i realized the clutch fork slides off the ball pivot retainer spring very easily (retainer that keeps the fork on the) when the it pushes the throwout to its maximun distance. So do i need a different fork or retainer spring? pics of proper installment would be nice.