HybridZ

can you run 2 exhaust systems?

GarageRatt13

Hey guys I looked around on the forum but couldnt find anything like this. I want to run a system that splits into 2 seperate systems, one for the track and one for the street. I was thinking of using a electronic cutout to split the system. It would be a strait pipe from the downpipe back to about the rear tires and then one pipe would continue out the side of the car in front of the rear tire that would have no muffler or anything of the sort, and the other one would continue to the back like normal but would be hidden and have a muffler and resonator. What do you guys think? would this work? Also would I have to run 2 different tunes depending on what part of the exhaust im using? Or could I switch them back and forth whenever I want. Thanks for any help!!

I feel like it would be less hassle to just have a separate exhaust system made axle back if I understand. Its like a 4ft pipe and it's not hard to jack up the rear of a car. Just get a Vband to connect them and it'll be a piece of cake.

On my ZX I had a straight pipe all the way back to just in front of my rear subframe, I then had a Vband clamp used to I could detach the rear portion of my exhaust. I had another exhaust made that was just a pipe with no muffler at the end. It was loud as **** so I never really used it, but if I wanted to add a different muffler to it and compare it to the one I have I could.

This portion of the muffler disconnects right in front of the rear subframe.

WP_000068.jpg

I like the idea of having side exit though, I havnt really looked but I dont think there is room for a muffler in front of the rear tire. Thats why I was thinking of using a electronic cut out so I can switch between the loud system and the quieter one by just hitting a switch. But it there is room for a muffler right there or a way to run one before the exit point than thats a possiblity.

It will mess with the turbo if your muffled system is restrictive enough.

The problem with what you want to do is the limited space under a Z. You may be able to fit a glasspack in the tranny tunnel depending on how the cutout is positioned. Plus your car will need to be a tad higher if you run the side exit because you need to curve it under the frame rail depending on where you put it.

Maybe an MS paint of how you'd run the system would help. Just find a pic of the underside of an s30.

Go take a look at those electric cutouts first. They aren't small!

You may simply find putting a 'Lakes Pipe' with blocker flange at the end is easier to package. Three Stainless Steel Bolts and it's off at the track. Or back on.

Cheaper, too! So what if some exhaust goes out the original pipe---the reduction in backpressure is what you want by the cutout, and this would do that in spades.

Yeah that is true but the reason I want a cut out is so i can run a side exit exhaust like they do on the GT cars. I like the look but I dont want to have to listen to it all the time. I'll have to look at my Z and get some pipe and see how much room I have to play with.

Indeed if I'm understanding what you mean by "lake pipe", it would be infinitely dare-I-say better than an electronic cutout. How much money do you want to spend on a cutout that is made to last, and even then how long does the best cutout last anyway. It seems like an electronic actuator and a small furnace don't mix well in any scenario.

All this of course is contingent on whether you want it to be opened or closed at the flip of a switch...

Edit: I believe Tony means exactly side exhaust when he says lake pipe. All you have to do is cap the outlets when you don't want the noise and the exhaust will be forced through the alternate route with a muffler.

Edited by getoffmyinternet

Yeah I know what lake pipes are I worked on hot rods and old 50s cars before I got my Z. I think the only thing I can do is get some pipe, put the Z on jackstands and see what fits. I really want to have the exhaust out the side so if the cut out isnt going to work I guess im going to have one loud car cause its coming out the side no matter what lol.

I'm missing something in this translation... You said 'dual exhaust---one muffler, one straight out the side'... why is that going to be loud all the time. Do you know what a 'knife gate' is?

Look at a Y-Pipe, Knife-Gate, and regular piping.

Myself, I used COT Boom Tube and changed the floor pan...cool.gif

E-Bay is your friend...

Well it seemed like everyone was saying that the two pipes wouldnt work so If it doesnt im going to run a Strait pipe out the side and it will be loud all the time. But like I said i need to get under the Z with some pipe and check it out, I think i'll have the room. Does anyone have the dimensions on a 3" electronic cutout? I need to check for clearance and stuff.

Okay so what aren't you getting? Everybody's been saying two pipes will work fine, the only difference between a cutout and a lake pipe is where you are closing off the straight path, in the middle or at the end. Unless you have two opposing cutouts the muffled route will always be flowing to some degree in either situation.

I think Im reading these posts wrong lol. I get what your saying and Im going to be going with the electronic cutout just because its easier to open and close and it will be in the middle of the pipe and not at the end. Does anyone have a good pic of the underside of a 240? I tried to google it but didnt come up with anything good.

Good Luck with that... Once again, have you looked at the size of the cutout you plan on using? I'd suggest you start there, first.

Alternate plan popular in Japan: 3" Brass Gate Valve with threaded pipe adapters brazed onto muffler tubing. Valve handle extended into driver's compartment through small hole to accommodate stem. Driver would use left hand to open valve going down the road (right hand in the USA chassis...) Cheap and works well.

Again, search out "Knife Gate"...

I havnt seen one of the 3" cutouts in person yet but that will determine how I will set it up. And to JohnC, If I run it out the back it will be something similar to what you suggested but I would like to see if I can make this work first. Oh yeah and I searched knife gate valve and all that came back was really big industrial style valves.

Edited by GarageRatt13