HybridZ

door wont latch!!

SDgoods

71 240z. I rotated the little mechanism that latches the door to the catcher and now the door won't latch. I can see why as on the driver door that works, (i will call it the rubber part), when you close the door the catcher pushes the rubber part which rotates the assembly and latches the door. My passenger side will only rotate counter-clock wise this far, which doesn't allow the assembly to be rotated when you close the door.

photo-32.jpg

And when rotated clock-wise easily and naturally seats back into this position:

photo-33.jpg\

I believe the correct position would be picture #1 rotated counter clock wise so the rubber piece is on the bottom with the striking edge facing towards the inside of the car.

Any thoughts as to why it wont rotate to the correct position??? I have looked at threads, however cant find anything on the door mechanism gets stuck and is like 90-180 degrees off of its normal position

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Daniel

Edited by SDgoods

Oil the heck out of it to get it rotating freely. With the door open you can turn it to the "latched position" and release it with the door handle - repeatedly! while oiling - until it's turning uber-smoothly and easily. Replace the missing "black rubber part" with a short piece of 3/8" plastic tubing. Make it as wide as your original and then cut it down the side, open it up a bit, and install it on the egg-shaped lobe on the latch...

With the door open it doesnt rotate and 'snap' into place like the driver side does. i can rotate it and hold it with my fingers, but when the door handle or interior release is pulled it snaps back to the far clock-wise position, which is completely facing the wrong way for it to latch. I figured i needed a new mechanism but I will lubricate it first. I think its broken. Where do you lubricate it? the external part or internal?

Thanks for the quick reply

You sure that the striker (catcher) is adjusted properly?

With the door open the positions for the lobes on the latch are:

Open: the lobe on the latch will be rotated all the way clockwise and pointing at the inside of the car.

Closed: push the lobe when it is in the open position to the closed position counter clockwise until it stops. You will hear two clicks as the lobe moves into its closed position (pointing down).

Test: Now, if you pull the door handle the latch will release and the lobe will rotate clockwise and again be pointing at the inside of the car. If it does this it is working properly and you need to look at the striker adjustment.

I figured it out. for whatever reason when i rotated it on my own it turned 180 degrees, I just lubed up the cylinder and before where it wouldn't rotate anymore it was able to rotate with some lubrication. Thanks for your help guys!