HybridZ

L28ET Running Rich

73 w/ 83 L28ET, Stock ECU, Stock Turbo Injectors

Idle fuel pressure set to 36psi

Wideband is pegged at 10:1 at idle and almost everywhere below 3500rpm or so, so its probably running even fatter than that, black smoke and all.

Im new to the AFM setup, so I dont even know where to start. Ive searched and found lots of threads on carbed setups running rich, and some NA threads, but having trouble finding threads with the same issue.

Is there an adjustment at the AFM to lean the mixture down low?

How do most people tune the L28ET w/ a stock ecu?

Motor runs well other than being pig rich. Only other issue are cold starts take several attempts and car doesnt want to hold an idle until warm. Once its warm, it just runs really rich.

Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction.

Edited by ryan95i4

Have you checked all of the components using the 1983 FSM? If the swap was straight across, no modifications, from an 83 to your car, that would be the place to start. It shouldn't need "tuning" if it's stock. The pieces are designed to work together as-is.

www.xenons130.com/reference

Here's a popular swap link - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/38461-240z-260z-280z-turbo-swap-guide/

The FSM has very good trouble shooting steps and all the tests on the ECCS are fairly simple if you have a multimeter in hand. Most of the problems on the L28ET come from poor, corroded, and/or missing electrical connectors/connections and/or vacuum hoses/connections, cracked intake boots. Check and clean them all, replace if necessary.

Specifically at startup, a malfunctioning Air Bypass Valve on the intake manifold, and/or a malfunctioning A.A.C. valve will cause a rich condition. The Air Bypass is electrical, the A.A.C. is vacuum (controlled the the VCM (Vacuum Comtrol Module) - which is a couple of vacuum solenoids that the ECU uses to control the A.A.C. and EGR valves). You can check that, but I'd recommend you going through the entire ECCS system and follow all the trouble shooting steps in the FSM.

Many people jump at the AFM, thinking they can make adjustments, when it's the LAST thing they should do. If all the other parts in the ECCS system are working properly, connected properly, there's no reason to bust open the AFM.

73 w/ 83 L28ET, Stock ECU, Stock Turbo Injectors

Idle fuel pressure set to 36psi

Wideband is pegged at 10:1 at idle and almost everywhere below 3500rpm or so, so its probably running even fatter than that, black smoke and all.

Im new to the AFM setup, so I dont even know where to start. Ive searched and found lots of threads on carbed setups running rich, and some NA threads, but having trouble finding threads with the same issue.

Is there an adjustment at the AFM to lean the mixture down low?

How do most people tune the L28ET w/ a stock ecu?

Motor runs well other than being pig rich. Only other issue are cold starts take several attempts and car doesnt want to hold an idle until warm. Once its warm, it just runs really rich.

Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction.

I would start by checking the head temp sensor resistance at the ecu...

So now I have the complete opposite problem, way lean at full throttle.

My car was running pig rich and had trouble idling and starting cold; battery needed to be replaced and found a leak in the coupler before the throttle body. Fixed those, now the car idles perfect, starts right away and under normal driving is great but it goes extremely lean at full throttle. Wideband will show 18:1 or worse and i obviously have to let off.

Its now behaving perfectly, except at full throttle where it goes way lean. Amy ideas?