HybridZ

MSA Camber Adjustment Kit, Front

I have a complaint about an MSA kit.

G-machine 2853101 camber bushings front

I purchased this kit for almost $80 to my door.

Not so long ago I could go to CarQuest and purchase a very similar kit for around $40.

So it took me some time to convince myself I should spend double that on this kit. Having purchased it and now in the middle of installing it Im very un-happy.

The kit consists of Delrin bushings, lock washers, and cams. The cams are great. The Delrin bushings are a HUGE problem. I can see them having to be pressed into the control arms. That makes sense. The problem is that once you press these into the control arm the bushing ID expands and no amount of rubber mallet hammering will force the cam through the bushings! So someone like me says fine I will hone the crap out of the ID to get the cam to fit! Well I F-d up the left side and now there is slop in the control arm which is going to show up on the alignment machine. No bolt on alignment kit should have to be modified like this. If I had used my press to install the cam there is no way their adjustment tool was going to have any effect on the camber alignment as that sucker was going to be solid where ever it lands. Even with a large adjustable wrench I could not budge the one I did get in the first shot around.

So now I have an adjustable right side and the energy bushing is going back in the left side. If I had the stock bushing in there still Id be so unbelievably screwed. Cutting/Drilling the bushing properly while under compression would have eliminated this issue or have lessened it considerably. These bushings were simply built in the cheapest manor possible and sold at a premium. Im fairly certain all the control arms I have have tight tolerance ID's to properly fit the OE metal bushings so that ID is fairly universal. So install the bushing into a jig that properly expands the bushing before the ID is cut for the cam. Now I have to source new bushings or modify and hopefully with success the energy urethane bushings which just makes me mad at myself for screwing up but also has me focusing my pissed off attitude at MSA for their crappy cheap design they sold me for twice as much as the competitor. It was worth the effort to drive 2 hours to carquest in the end. Sure taught me. Grrr and Arg!

If you live close to carquest and your salesperson is willing to take the time to dig they do have the alignment cams still in a warehouse the last time I checked.

Signing off pissed at myself, g-Machine, and MSA.

Ray

I am always amazed of the amount of issues coming from their products. It almost seems like a vendor sells MSA on a product and MSA never actually tries it out on a car before they put it in there catalog. And like you imply Ray, you would rather pay more for a high quality product from a vendor that supposedly specializes in your make of car.

Where is QC?

I am always amazed of the amount of issues coming from their products. It almost seems like a vendor sells MSA on a product and MSA never actually tries it out on a car before they put it in there catalog. And like you imply Ray, you would rather pay more for a high quality product from a vendor that supposedly specializes in your make of car.

Where is QC?

Ive purchased from them out of Rancho Cordova and Fresno, but currently their closest location that I know of to me is San Fransisco or at least that is where their main Ca warehouse is.

I figured the $70+shipping product would be better than the CarQuest version. I have installed the CarQuest units before and though they are crude in design they work and install in a superior way. I have a set in a 1972 240z that were installed 12 years ago! I remember them being easy and with plenty of adjustment for even any moderately lowered Z. I would have to go jack the car up, but I remember them being a solid aluminum cam with no bushing whatsoever. Lube them up and install them. Those cams are cut very well and the only care to be taken is when removing the stock bushing so that the ID of the control arm is not galled. Crude but very effective and also shows that a cheap manufacture can properly cut for the ID of the control arm without having any hickups and that the control arm ID has a precise enough tolerance to make a jig for such a bushing to be cut in. I wrote MSA a letter regarding this ordeal. If they write me back I will provide them with the fix, though since they are only the sellers I doubt it will have much impact on the product. I may use the instruction sheet to contact g-Machines Inc and let them know of my displeasure with their product and offer my thoughts on a corrective measure.

MSA just contacted me regarding this. It seems they believe they sent me a kit for a S130. They have never had a problem with these kits so says the man at MSA but he found that some of the kits were mixed up in the bin and it possible that is what happened. If it was they are going to send me a new (correct) kit for my car.

For what their products sometimes lack MSA sure does make up for in customer service and keeping us Z owners happy!

I will post back with further updates.

I can see them having to be pressed into the control arms.

You do know that you have to remove any inner sleeve left behind in the front control arm? I assume you know that and I apologize for posting the obvious.

I totally forgot about that agony so long ago. I think the only bushing sleeve I didn't have to cut out was the mustache bar sleeves (which you want to retain). Screwed that up and had to buy another mustache bar. The SOB who sized all these poly or delrin bushings to fit without the outer sleeve was a sick bastarse.

Edited by RebekahsZ