HybridZ

Custom DIN Enclosure + 10" Subwoofer Box

MazerRackham

So I made the DIN enclosure out of 3/4" MDF and I would have used 1/4" too but the Home Depot ran out and they don't know when they are re-stocking so I bought some plywood. I tried to make it as thief proof as possible so I took several measures. You cannot see it in the picture but the DIN cage that the radio mates to is "permanently" affixed to the wooden mounting box. To do so I carefully cut some notches in the wood with my drill and bent some of the mounting tabs on the DIN cage outwards. Once I slid the DIN cage in the tabs snapped into the notches that I cut into the wood. There is no slop. The tabs on the side that bend outwards allowing the radio to slide in also have virtually no room. I was afraid the glue was going to snap when sliding in the radio but the radio eventually slid in with some violent persuasion and with no damage to the head unit. If the thief wants this radio they are going to have to rip out the center console and smash the wood box holding it in. Overall it is an extremely snug fit for both the radio and the DIN mounting cage. I drilled some holes in the center console so it wouldn't crack when putting in the two screws that hold it to the center console. I would have made a fancier mount but this is very sturdy and requires lots of destruction if a thief wants it.

269285_288772507886996_1033567976_n.jpg

380639_288771981220382_1348085669_n.jpg

2012-06-25001742.jpg

The sub box is entirely 3/4" MDF and its stupid heavy. Once the sub goes in it will easily be near 30-40 pounds. I'm going to cover it in 1/2" foam and faux leather black vynl to match the interior of the car.

8017_288336027930644_1734647000_n.jpg

2012-06-25002319.jpg

Edited by MazerRackham

What's the reason for the uneven box design? I'm talking about the notch on the right side vs the "full" left side? Is it for your amp? or is that going somewhere else?

Its for the catalytic converter temperature sensor. I'm going to add a small plate of wood to the backside of the notch so that once placed over the cat temp sensor it doesn't slide anywhere under heavy braking. Currently the right side is held in place by the plastic of the hatch panel. It is such a tight fit on the right side it isn't going anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at doing a box as well, but probably on the driver's side rear, behind the strut tower. I think I could make one that fit snugly to the fender, and not lose much cargo space... Looking good. I'll be interested to see the final product.

MazerRackham,

Where will you place the amp for the sub? Definately looks like a thief would have a challenge with stealing that.

Sunny Z,

Here is a pic of another members(I believe) 280z with a 12" sub in the drivers side just as you were mentioning. Not trying to jack your thread in any way Mazer.

post-736-073261700 1341593108_thumb.jpg

post-736-056692900 1341593118_thumb.jpg

MazerRackham,

Where will you place the amp for the sub? Definately looks like a thief would have a challenge with stealing that.

Sunny Z,

Here is a pic of another members(I believe) 280z with a 12" sub in the drivers side just as you were mentioning. Not trying to jack your thread in any way Mazer.

Dude I don't care at all. Thanks for the heads up. I love seeing custom audio set ups on these cars. I've read every topic on it on classiczcars, here, and just about every other forum, and finding it done well is pretty hard.

I have one more plate of wood to install and then I'm done. I've just been lazy. Lots of math. Girlfriend. ACT. Trying to get into Stanford/Berkeley is hard. =[

Edited by MazerRackham

MazerRackham,

Sunny Z,

I saw this car at the JCCS in ...09, or O'10? gorgeous car even underneath.

• 5 weeks later...

The whole un-stealable radio idea is a bad one in my experience. My father had a thief literally rip a crack down the entire front face of his GMC Sonoma's dash because a thief had a hard time removing the radio. He would have preferred to lose the radio with no body damage.