HybridZ

A/C on my dd

calvin280zxt

Not a z, i tried joining a truck forum but i gave up. everyone here is more knowlegable anyway.

Its a 97 chevy 4x4 380000 kms, i changed a transistor in the heat/ ac controls so they work now and i just recharged the system to the correct pressure with some r12a, and it works clutch kicks in and all that.

It still doesnt get very cold at all though, it is definatly cooler than outside but now what it should be ive cleaned the condensor and everything and its got air moving through it so i dont know what else it could be thanks in advance

Some systems blend cold air and warm air with a door called the blend air door.This could be stuck in an incorrect position.Is the suction line out of the evap core cold?Is water going through the heater core when its not supposed to be?Find a service manual with diagram of airflow and water flow and vacuem control

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's a HC (Hydrocarbon) based refrigerant. These work ok, and the head pressures are nice and low, but the charging is tricky, and you sight glass never looks right, and they don't work as well with older TXV type systems like the Datsuns. OT type systems work pretty well in. Least from my experience.

Most of the HC based refrigerant replacements for R12 are a mix of propane and butane, and isobutane. They perform very, very well, but are highly flammable and thus are:

Illegal

Dangerous

Really, what part of not safe isn't clearly stated in Dangerous?

Imagine an evaporator leak and lighting up a smoke in the car. Wouldn't take much with the A/C blower mixing air and propane for you...

Or an engine bay hose leaking, coupled with an exhaust leak in a thinwalled header or cracked manifold...won't happen if moving, but sit at a traffic light you have a fair chance, even with the radiator fan going.

Or getting hit by another car and having the battery touch the hood for a moment and throw a nice spark right near your broken condenser core spewing liquid propane...

HC refrigerants are dangerous in automotive systems.

Well i dont know where being illegal came from, i just bought some at the parts store. And it didnt work that great either it was slighty above better than nonthing. In fact its the only refrigerant you can get in a little can. Maybe its because its not meant to be used exclusively as its just a top up can

This thread illustrates why I always try to put back in, what the system was designed to run with originally. Even if it requires R12. It's cheaper IMO to fix the leaks, and repair the system, and recharge with R12, than it is to convert it to some pieced together ineffecient system. If you go to that, you might as well replace the entire system with one that was designed for the refrigerant you want to use.

Well my truck with 400k on it isnt really worth spending a bunch Of $ on, if i get it fixed proffesionally obviously thats what ill do. But in my experience they just recharge it anyway and charge you a lot more than 20$ worth of refridge just so it can leak out again