HybridZ

thinking about megasquirt

taylor76zharris

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coil needs to have current flowing through it to work.  It fires when the current is interrupted.  You can have voltage but no current flow.  Follow the circuit from the power supply, through the coil, and to wherever the circuit making and breaking hardware is (BIP373 probably, inyour case).  The ignitor would do that job in the stock system, at the control of the ECU.  The BIP373 transistor in MS should be doing that job now.  If it's connected correctly, then the next thing to look at would be the signal that the ECU uses to control BIP373, probably the CAS.

Power+ > coil + > coil windings > coil - > BIP337 > ground

BIP337 grounds the circuit when the ECU controls it to do so.

Could i just take a screenshot of all my tuning tables open? I cant seem to get the msq to upload :icon55:

You have to place your current MSQ in a "zip" folder and then upload the zip folder.  Just right click on your desktop.  Create new zip folder.  Drag your MSQ into that folder and upload it here.

Did you get a new board too?  Previously in the thread it appeared your board had a burnt spot on Q16 underneath?  

Get that msq uploaded and maybe a data log cranking the car a few seconds. 

The coil needs to have current flowing through it to work.  It fires when the current is interrupted.  You can have voltage but no current flow.  Follow the circuit from the power supply, through the coil, and to wherever the circuit making and breaking hardware is (BIP373 probably, inyour case).  The ignitor would do that job in the stock system, at the control of the ECU.  The BIP373 transistor in MS should be doing that job now.  If it's connected correctly, then the next thing to look at would be the signal that the ECU uses to control BIP373, probably the CAS.

Power+ > coil + > coil windings > coil - > BIP337 > ground

BIP337 grounds the circuit when the ECU controls it to do so.

Thats onething i havent been able to check because im usualy working on the car alone. Ill have a friend there to help tomorrow.

And yes i am using the BIP373 to control spark. If im getting an RPM signal could me CAS still be wired wrong?

You have to place your current MSQ in a "zip" folder and then upload the zip folder.  Just right click on your desktop.  Create new zip folder.  Drag your MSQ into that folder and upload it here.

Did you get a new board too?  Previously in the thread it appeared your board had a burnt spot on Q16 underneath?  

Get that msq uploaded and maybe a data log cranking the car a few seconds. 

Alright thanks! Ill get it uploaded as soon as i can. Hopefully later tonight.

Well it turned out that i didnt burn it up that bad, just some insolation on the board but every thing seemed to still work. However today when i connected the megasquirt to the harness and turned the ignition on the same place started to get so hot that it melted off more on the insolation but all the wires are still in good condition. I didnt even crank it before i noticed smoke. what could be wired wrong to cause this? Here is a picture, BIP373 is just to the upper right of the burnt spot.

020.jpg

Your ignition options look ok. You may try trigger angle of 60. You need to set required fuel. Also I use simultaneous injector firing with 1 squirt. Your cranking dwell should be about 6 and about 3 max running. There may be more damage to your board. It's several layers thick from what I've read.

Great thanks for the info! Its nice to know my settings a right or at least close to it.

I made the changes you recommended but still no spark.

I did some testing and i think the reason my board burnt right there has something to do with the coil wiring. I disconnected the 12v+ at the coil and watched the for smoke and/or arcing on the board (i had the cover off) and saw none. When i reconnected the 12v+ and turned the ignition on there was a faint spark off of the outer-most exposed circuit in the picture. I dont know how to fix this because the 12v i used for the + on the coil came from the fuel pump relay.

Did you do the ohm checks from igbtin to the bip373, bip to ground and bip to coil neg. If all ohms good and your getting an rpm signal then you should be getting spark. You can try appying 12v to coil + and momentarily ground coil - and you should get spark. Also make sure you have a good strong 12v supply to the coil while cranking.