HybridZ

L28 Bare Block Weight?

seattlejester

I was hoping to bother someone to recall how much the bare L28 Block weighs. As in just the block, no crank, no pistons, no anything, other than core plugs (not that that makes a whole lot of difference).

I'm just trying to gauge if I could lift it with a friend, or if I will have to go borrow a cherry picker to take it to a machine shop.

I was able to lift the block by myself alone & loaded it in my DD during the rebuild. So you definitely don't need any tool to lift it with 2 people. Just wear some thick gloves to avoid being hurt by sharp edges.

and to answer your question with a number, my guess would be around 90-100 lbs.

Slide the stand head out of the base, place the block with the stand head in the vehicle, then remove the stand head from the block. You would need a rather strong friend to hold the block on their own while you removed the bolts. Setting the engine on a surface to remove the stand head is much safer way of doing it.

Excellent, I only say two people as my block is still on a stand, so 1 person to hold and 1 person to undo the bolts, I would imagine some disasterous outcomes if I tried that process by myself :lol: .

When I have to remove a bare block from a stand alone (or with someone for that matter), I leave the stand "snout" on, and slide it directly into my pick-up, or set it down on the shop floor. THEN unbolt from stand snout. One person trying to hold the weight of the block while the other removes bolts WOULD be disastrous.

Slide the stand head out of the base, place the block with the stand head in the vehicle, then remove the stand head from the block. You would need a rather strong friend to hold the block on their own while you removed the bolts. Setting the engine on a surface to remove the stand head is much safer way of doing it.

Yup, what six shooter said. I must have still been typing when you posted!

I do the same thing as the two above!

Also, I have used a strap and come-along over a standard 2X4 Rafter Truss to lift the engine complete. I have a Truss-Roof Tuff-Shed that I use for Engine Assembly, and they arrive in pieces, and either go out on a stand to the pickup bed, or I put the strap over the truss and hang it till I drop it onto the Harbor Freight Rolling Cart (600# Capacity)

I install & remove also the stand head while the block is on the floor.

I've also tried to install the block on the stand while it is maintained in the air with the lift, it is not convenient.

Edited by Lazeum