HybridZ

real world advice needed on struts

Hi,

I have a '74 260Z that has had the top chopped off to make it into a roadster. Now, I have added a GM 350 (iron heads and manifold) & T5 transmission. The car presently has BMW 320 springs with home-made adjusters (?, at least that's what the previous owner said) on all 4 corners done 10 years ago. The car bounces around like an old buckboard.

So, my question is what would be the easiest, lowest cost solution for a cruiser that will not be raced, but also a decent riding machine. I could:

1. just change the strut cartridges and leave the springs (the lowest cost).

2. buy used springs and new struts cartridges (low cost).

3. Buy new springs and strut cartridges (moderate cost, but starting to get to the wife disapproval point).

4. ????

I know there have been many discussions on this sort of topic, but mostly by the racing crowd. I need sound advice on what would be best for my beast.

Thanks,

Jim

post-18683-061458300 1342889219_thumb.jpg

Edited by docjim

You will get lots of opinions here.I have repaired autos for years as a professional auto tech.If the original strut housings have been cut up/modded start with a set in original condition.Install some good quality cartridge inserts in the strut housings and put the oem springs back on and drive until your budget will allow some more upgrades.The torsional stiffnes of the car could be questionable.Installing a very riged suspension could cause structure problems.Coil overs would allow you to adjust your ride heigth .Just dont pick a set of stiff springs.

That one hatch strut it awesome.

Your suspension looks like someone just put a coilover sleeve and spring on the original strut tube. Which is stupid. Hopefully though he didn't actually modify the strut tubes and you'll be able to take that spring and coilover sleeve off. I can't tell if he welded them into place or not.

As for suspension, I'd suggest going with new strut inserts, Tokico blues or similar and some used springs if you can find them.

Buying the springs and struts new is only about $500:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-BLUE-HP-KIT-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-NISSAN-240Z-260Z-70-74-/270965513168?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16cd9bd0&vxp=mtr#ht_534wt_1037

And if you go with the illuminas and used tokico springs it should only be about $100 more

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-TOKICO-ILLUMINA-SHOCKS-STRUTS-NISSAN-240Z-260Z-70-71-72-73-74-5-/170831727085?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c65d49ed&vxp=mtr#ht_1215wt_1037