HybridZ

New Member New Car but need help

well im a new member because of the car i bought im hoping this forum is a lot better than zdriver but i just bought a 1978 5 speed 280z with EFI the engine runs and there are some rust spots but other than that im happy with the purchase, but i have come into some issues and idk where to start. the engine runs rich it has become hard to start and will start if you give it gas. when it is started it will idle low at about 500 then when floored it goes to 1000 it floods itself i dont know what causes this and i hate to be that guy to post something that everyone does but im just hoping for some fast direct answers to a solution cause it kills me not hearing it run right. if anyone needs more specifics i can supply whatever information you need to help me get this thing running right again.

Welcome, and first a few things:

1. Use proper grammar and stuff. Makes it easier to read.

2. Post some pics of your car

3. We need to know if it's completely stock or not, did the po add anything? And sounds like either a air flow meter or fuel pressure regulator problem. What is your fuel pressure at idle?

Think of this place as an advanced automotive site. You should already have the factory service manual for your car, know how to tune it up and keep it running well, have all the necessary tools, and know the names of the parts on the car. This isn't auto shop 101.

understandable and fair enough. first off its just a stock L28E no modifications that i know off and none that i can see. as for the fuel pressure it is fine as well. i had taken the spark plugs out and found out they were gapped at about .046 so i re-gapped them at .039 as it calls for in my chilton book. i am waiting for my air flow meter to come back from the auto store. again i am open to any and all ideas except for selling the car or dropping in a 350 small block. i believe that the fuel pressure regulator is fine an working along with my air flow meter, are there any other things that could be causing my engine to flood this badly?

If you read the first three threads in the link below, it will help quite a bit in getting good responses from people who know how to make things work. Kind of like not talking with your mouth full, the words are the same but nobody wants to talk to the guy with food spilling out of his mouth.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/forum/68-new-members-forum/

And numbers are always good, to let people know that you've actually measured something and aren't just guessing or assuming. For example, a number here would be excellent - "as for the fuel pressure it is fine as well."