HybridZ

Body Line Alignment and Sharpening

Bartman

I am once again in the process of doing bodywork and paint on my Z. I really want to increase the quality of the body including door and hatch gaps, panel alignment, and sharpening and aligning the body line on S30’s that start from the top of the front fenders and extend all the way to the rear of the car. I want this body line to be well defined, and straight – especially on the rear quarter panels where sometimes they seem to get lost.

Can anyone share any tips or techniques of what has worked for them?

Take it down to bare metal and see what you actually have. Ideally you would run the panel over a roller to get more definition of that body line but I think you would have to machine a custom pair of rollers to get the break angle right. That would work for the front fenders and door skins. For the rear fenders you would have to dolly the line or cut the fender off and run it through the bead roller.

Somewhere, long ago I saw a writeup about this. If I remember correctly, they snapped the body line on the car and traced it with marker, then drew a series of 1" long vertical lines along it and sanded diagonally from above and below the line until the vertical lines had been sanded away to meet the body line.

I may not have done a good description of that, but maybe someone can find that writeup.

That line is most certainly dimmed because of earlier bodywork because of a respray. As john suggest, take it down to metal and see how the line is behind everything. If its not clear enough behind all old paint, primer and bondo, then use lead or bondo, and sand it down with a long and wide block starting from the line and away from it on both sides of the line. You wont need a lot of filler material, halv a mm will sharpen the line a lot.

This is the tecnique I used since my car didnt have this line visible at all... 2mm of bondo evenly on a straight body.... Why would someone do that??

I use masking tape to mark the body line. Once the masking tape is applied sand all the way to the edge of the tape and then remove the tape and apply a new tape line at the bottom on the body line and sand to that edge. This will give you a straight well-defined body line.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/body-lines-straight.html

I’m not sure that I would completely strip the paint off the body. I would only do it if there are signs of body damage, body work, or tons of paint. Sand the material on the car. Block everything out then work on the body lines. This will save a lot of time and money.

I went to bare metal on my z but there was evidence of poor body work and tons of paint.

Spend the money on good sand paper. Don't be cheap. I would strongly recommend using 3m paper. It is the best I have ever used and it lasts a lot longer than anything on the market.

Edited by daryl_db

I use masking tape to mark the body line. Once the masking tape is applied sand all the way to the edge of the tape and then remove the tape and apply a new tape line at the bottom on the body line and sand to that edge. This will give you a straight well-defined body line.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/body-lines-straight.html

thanks darl_db that's a good link. It's close to the process I'm already trying with a couple extra tips that should help out. I think the one thing that will really help right now is a long piece of flat stock steel or aluminum that will stay straight, but bend along the curve of the body.

Take it down to bare metal and see what you actually have. Ideally you would run the panel over a roller to get more definition of that body line but I think you would have to machine a custom pair of rollers to get the break angle right. That would work for the front fenders and door skins. For the rear fenders you would have to dolly the line or cut the fender off and run it through the bead roller.

I guess that would be the best route, but a little more work than I was hoping for.

thanks darl_db that's a good link. It's close to the process I'm already trying with a couple extra tips that should help out. I think the one thing that will really help right now is a long piece of flat stock steel or aluminum that will stay straight, but bend along the curve of the body.

Go buy a good sanding block made for the purpose. Will make the job easier and better!

Post a picture of your body line and I will see if it matches mine.

I still have to essentially 'recreate' it on the rear quarter panels. The line is there behind the rear wheel openings, but not before it. If I extend the line from the door and the line from behind the wheel openings they don't line up. They aren't parallel and would cross each other above the rear wheel opening. So it appears that the body line arcs a little over the rear wheel opening and then is straight again going to the rear of the car. I just need to confirm this is correct.

I still have to essentially 'recreate' it on the rear quarter panels. The line is there behind the rear wheel openings, but not before it. If I extend the line from the door and the line from behind the wheel openings they don't line up. They aren't parallel and would cross each other above the rear wheel opening. So it appears that the body line arcs a little over the rear wheel opening and then is straight again going to the rear of the car. I just need to confirm this is correct.

I basically had to recreate mine. I made mine straight from the front fender to the rear of the car. From the pictures that I have seen on the net they should be straight all the way.

So I resolved the body line issue where I thought it wasn't straight. I just thought it was an issue because of the way the rear of the car tapers in. From some angles it looks like it angles down towards the back, but it does in fact stay horizontal.

I made very good progress this weekend and am quite happy with the results.

med_gallery_824_764_1632657.jpg

med_gallery_824_764_818100.jpg