HybridZ

Watanabe Rims

rjsang

I was thinking about putting some Watanabe R-Type rims on my 1973 240z. I was wondering if you guys had any experience with the rims to the type of car? I was thinking maybe 16x9.0. Does anyone know what the offset will be and how it might look like? Will it be necessary to put in some fender flares to compensate the offset? I'm sure someone out here's got some sweet photos of their Z with these type of rims.. wink.gif

Here a link to the ones I'm looking at:

http://otomoto.shop033.com/resources/F2/13042/picture/EF/14665711.gif

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Watanabe%20R-type%2016x9.0/kevlar_carbonfiber/Wheels/WAts15x8.jpg

They fit very well but please use the search function I will not be the last to say it. You are a very new member so read the forums rules amd you will pass a better time on these forums a make freinds faster. Because if you just ask without search no one will answer.

OK ... you got me. 15x8 Watanabe 4.9kg vs Konig Rewind 15" 6.6kg. No real comparison. Watanabe is magnesium, some are forged whereas Konig's are a nice looking copy (cast aluminum and powder coated) But price ... $2000 vs $500. I have the Konig Rewind rims on my car.

post-1627-035795600 1346094068_thumb.jpg

Works for me, I wish had the pockets to afford a set of Watanabe's.

OK ... you got me. 15x8 Watanabe 4.9kg vs Konig Rewind 15" 6.6kg. No real comparison. Watanabe is magnesium, some are forged whereas Konig's are a nice looking copy (cast aluminum and powder coated) But price ... $2000 vs $500. I have the Konig Rewind rims on my car.

post-1627-035795600 1346094068_thumb.jpg

Works for me, I wish had the pockets to afford a set of Watanabe's.

NICE Z!!!

Okay, i've done a search on the watanabe's on the Z and I'm still confused. I'm really new to this, but correct me if i'm wrong. I think the general consensus is that 16x8.0 fits just enough on a 240z in the front w/ no scraping and in the back 8.5 are a good fit. I'm still confused as to how some guys could fit 16x9.0's on their Z?

I'm thinking of putting in Techno Toy Tuning's coilover conversion setup on the front and rear. With that i'm looking to also put in Silvermine's brakes. Now I've seen already that the silver mines would work esp w/ 16inch rims, but i'm confused on the offset. How does a few millimeters matter so much that fender flares are required? Would the turn matter to a few millimeters? Lastly, going back to my original question (since i still really dont understand), what size rims WIDTH wise WOULD fit on the 240z? (putting in mind the need for fender flares and the corner clearance...)

Please, don't put any "smart" answers like "anything could fit if you want it too!" or whatever. I'm seriously trying to grasp these concepts and I want to learn. So i ask, PLEASE, only serious replies..

Bare in mind, I'm new to all of this, so be gentle! I'm still trying to understand all of this...

It all depends on offset, tirewidth (stretch), coilovers, camberplates etc. Just measure yourself and you will find what fits your car with your specifications/modifications. Get coilovers first and buy wheels that fit second. One milimeter is one milimeter enough to make sure it doesnt hit anything when turning/bumps etc. This forum isnt about wheel fitment, go to stanceworks for wheel/stance questions where its all about the milimeters.

Use willtheyfit.com to check your measurements.

My current setup is the maximum you can get under your stock fenders with not messing about on the outside (read pulling). 16x9,5 et-10 f/r with 225/45 tires. Requires fender roll, camber plates, adjustable LCA's, coilovers.

I was in your boat for a little while, but then I realized that who am I kidding, I can never afford 3k for wheels haha.

HaaJeHaa is dead on about the stuff you'll need to run at minimum. Coils and camber plates are a must. I believe the 16x9 Wats have a -13 offset. You'd have to stretch a tire for sure, I doubt a 225 would be enough, maybe more of a 205..? The tire stretch debate is probably one for another day, but just ask yourself if you feel like exposing the bead of a 700 dollar wheel, 4 times over...

Have you ever been to the Watanabe site and checked out all their photos?

http://www.rs-watana..._new/nissan.htm

S30s are down the page a bit, anyone running 9's I believe has flared their car. There is a guy on this site named Lalit0 (I think) that has 8.5s all around, and it is a TIGHT fit. Here's a photo:

post-3338-082968400 1346215268_thumb.jpg

I wish you luck in this pursuit, please post images/details as they develop.

I was in your boat for a little while, but then I realized that who am I kidding, I can never afford 3k for wheels haha.

HaaJeHaa is dead on about the stuff you'll need to run at minimum. Coils and camber plates are a must. I believe the 16x9 Wats have a -13 offset. You'd have to stretch a tire for sure, I doubt a 225 would be enough, maybe more of a 205..? The tire stretch debate is probably one for another day, but just ask yourself if you feel like exposing the bead of a 700 dollar wheel, 4 times over...

Have you ever been to the Watanabe site and checked out all their photos?

http://www.rs-watana..._new/nissan.htm

S30s are down the page a bit, anyone running 9's I believe has flared their car. There is a guy on this site named Lalit0 (I think) that has 8.5s all around, and it is a TIGHT fit. Here's a photo:

post-3338-082968400 1346215268_thumb.jpg

I wish you luck in this pursuit, please post images/details as they develop.

Thanks a bunch! All this helps every bit for sure. I havent seen the watanabe site that you posted, i guess its because i can't read japanese! Hahaha.. but thats a great site to look at for sure. I'll definitely post updates when time comes. thanks again!