HybridZ

Can't Start The Car

1982 280zx Auto, N/A.

For about 3 years now I have had issues with the key start on my car. Gradually it got worse. I used to be able to start my key with a couple times of turning the key to the start position, then down the road, eventually I had to turn the key to the start position more and more before the car would randomly start.

Eventually, it got to the point where it was 50 key turns before I could start the car. Because of that, I got a push button start installed so that I can turn the key to the ON position, let the fuel pump hum and prime, then push the button and my car starts. I have used that method for about 2 years.

I want to use my key tumbler to start my car again, properly.

I apologize for being unintentionally funny in the video. I say "start" a few too many times and it's a little silly. Oh well. Not re-shooting the video. It is not only for troubleshooting purposes but enjoyment purposes as well I suppose.

-Helpful Information-

Watch the video:

-A relay clicks in the glove box area when the key is turned to the on position, I think that means that the relay is good.

-Sensor light comes on only when the key is turned to the start position, but car doesn't start.

-If the key is held on the start position, the sensor light remains lit.

Ask any additional questions.

Thank you.

Could be worn hardware. I had a similar problem.

Take the switch apart and bend/twist the rod inside the switch that transfers the twist of the key to a twist of the electrical switch. Use two pair of pliers. Bend/twist it in the direction of starting and it will then start the car before it runs out of travel. If that's the problem.

Once you have the switch apart, turn the electrical portion with a screwdriver to see if it starts correctly. If so, the fix above should work. If not, you might need a new electrical switch.

Could just be the ignition switch. I would replace that first after checking the way newzed said, with a screwdriver. Mine had the same problem, would take a couple tries to start (or get lucky and catch on the first try) then it got worse and worse, to the point I couldn't start it without trying for 5 min. So I went to autozone and bought an ignition switch and swapped it in the parking lot in 30 min with a screwdriver. Never had a problem since.

I don't know why you went straight to a push button when you could have easily checked the ignition switch.

edit: just watched the vid and it was exactly what my car was doing. Swap out the switch and report back.

Edited by BluDestiny

• 2 weeks later...