HybridZ

l28 turbo question?

sid240z

Hello I'm new to hybridz, and somewhat new to the Z's. I have a 72' 240z, and I've been wanting to swap in a L28. I would like to know if putting a turbo on a L28 or if it would be better to find a L28et? I'm planing on moding the engine, so buying a new turbo set up isn't a problem. What would you guys recommend? should I get a L28e or a L28et?

Welcome to Hybridz! The assumption in these forums is that you'll do some homework (searching) to see if your question has already been answered before asking it again. In this case, this has been discussed in detail many times over, so spend a little time searching first.

That said, either approach is fine - especially if you're only going to do a build to 250-300 whp. There are some subtle pros/cons to each, and the direction you go could just as easily be determined by what you already have.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/82371-my-notes-on-the-na-l28-to-turbo-swap/

That's for N/A - Turbo

The parts you'll need, etc.....

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/34469-a-quick-fi-and-ignition-280zxt-to-s30-turbo-swap-guide/

That's the write up for wiring in an l28et harness into an s30

I have but in all of them everyone just ends up saying a bunch of Bs, and no real answers.

I usually find the same..

Common replies:

"This has been discussed many times over..."

"Do a search..."

"Have you searched?"

The problem is, when you do a search you usually find hundreds of threads (no exaggeration) that are mostly filled with the above quotes, occasionally there is some information posted within the threads, usually missing a lot of detail though.

That being said, this thread is starting down that same path.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic:

While I will say that you do need to do some research, I will point you in the direction of finding out more details about the actual engine you currently have, or for that matter any that you will be looking at, based on the properties of each, from the casting numbers, the strengths and weaknesses of different casting and then make a decision from there based on what you find out. Many people prefer the later blocks and heads, you will see the casting numbers of "F54" and "P90" come up frequently for engine builds, especially when using a turbo. This does not mean that these parts are the only ones to use, but are a majority preference. There have been many turbo Nissan L-series I6s over the years that do not use these specific parts and work just fine.

I've added turbochargers to previously naturally aspirated engines with great success over the years, including an N/A L28, that just happened to be an F54/P90 combo. I recently discovered that the head gasket has developed an issue, so I will be moving forward with plans for this car, and removing the L28, selling off all the good parts, even the engine which should be fine, since it still runs, just coolant gets into the #6 cylinder. I also abused my L28 beyond how most people would, so I'm surprised that it lasted as long as it did, without any greater issues. The L-series is quite robust, just make sure you have a good way to tune the fuel and spark delivery, for maximum enjoyment and potential. Also take a look at the cooling modification for the #5 and #6 cylinders, I didn't do this, since I knew I would be selling the engine later, and a modified head, might have been a harder sell. I also didn't plan to have it in the car as long as I have. I would recommend doing it, especially if you plan to run the engine beyond factory boost/power levels.

I will also say that there are a number of avenues to follow to turbocharge an L-series. Personally, the only bonafide turbo L-series parts I used were the exhaust manifold and the cam cover, all other parts were N/A counterparts, like the intake manifold, or parts from other vehicles. Other people prefer to use all of the original turbo parts, which is fine as well, depending on your end goals, and how comfortable you are with the mechanics, and electronics of such a swap.

I would try to source an L28ET setup whole with harness ecu etc. I'm in the midst of my L28ET swap into a 240Z, its gotten frustrating at points especially right now but I would be so mad at the moment if I had pieced all of this together because i'd be questioning even more items. At least with a base L28ET you know its designed to run boost eventhough guys have been very successful with the NA swaps to turbo. I'm really close to driving mine it will run but i havn't had to source very many parts in my opinion, right now i'm having an issue with the AFM or something i'll know in a week or so when one gets here. New fuel pump/tank because of the age of the car, coming from carbs to FI had to upgrade the lines,pump, filters etc but otherwise its in and pretty much a plug and play, well splice and play. I've got bugs but I wouldn't have expected it any other way. There is a wealth of information out there but you seem to just want an answer to one question, to buy an NA motor which is READILY available. Or buy a turbo motor first. I think you'll spend less sourcing an L28ET and i'm pretty certain the bottom ends are a little beefier amongst other things, lower compression which from my experience is more tolerable to higher boost levels. Depends on what you want to do though. Good luck