HybridZ

260z Body Removal?

Hey guys. Looking at pulling the body off the "frame" so I can sandblast and reinforce the frame for a V8 swap. Is it possible to do this and do you guys know of any good pics or write-ups? The frames on these cars are a bit....lacking, and I wasn't even able to find anything that suggests they can be removed. Any suggestions?

I just don't trust Harbor Freight that much... My car should way less than 1800 lbs with the motor and tranny out, but 2+ tons on harbor freight quality stuff, IDK about that. But if you've done it with their stuff, good for you!

I've got the shell of my 71 torn down completely and "spitted" on a pair of 1,000 lb engine stands from harbor freight. No problems with it so far. All I did was cut the uprights in half and weld in about a foot of square tube on each upright to extend the "height" on it. Initially, I didn't have the stands connected other than by the body, but I'm adding a bar that connects the stands so that it's more stable. I'm a sucker for over-engineering and not having any wiggle when moving the stands around.

Optionally, you can also add a couple of caster wheels in place of the rear wheels on the stands...it makes moving the car around on the stands MUCH easier if you're tight on space.

post-22903-034352100 1348372458_thumb.jpeg

post-22903-047819300 1348372459_thumb.jpeg

Dershum,

Those pics are just what I need. :D Thanks for posting them! It's gonna make working on this car so much easier. haha, this has to be one of the most ingenious things I've ever seen.

Thanks, but I really can't take credit...a bunch of others have done similar things, I just did my own version of it. Check out the Welding forum...there's a bunch there, and the guys at Atlantic Z Car club have a whole tips section full of em.

Atlatic Z Car Club Body Section on Rotisseries