HybridZ

240Z turbo conversion complete & working

OhBilly

For those who are interested, I just thought I'd post a turbo conversion success story. It's been a 3 year process, but it's finally running pretty well.

Here's the detailed info on the setup:

* '72 240Z

* L28, N42/N42 combo (8.3 CR I believe...?)

* Stock T3 turbo and exhaust manifold from an '83 ZXT

* Supra 440cc injectors

* Aluminum fuel rail from Andrew McCalip (Cold Fusion CNC)

* Aeromotive FPR

* TRE 255 LPH fuel pump

* Stock 240Z fuel tank

* Using stock 240Z hard lines for fuel supply and return (5/16 supply, 1/4 return)

* Fuel injection rated rubber hose on supply side (from hard supply line to fuel rail)

* Standard rubber fuel hose for return (from FPR to hard return line)

* Threaded wastegate actuator, currently set at about 7psi

* '83 ZXT distributor and coil

* 240SX throttle body

* N42 intake manifold

* Stock L28 oil pan with oil return bung welded on

* Stock '83ZXT turbo oil feed line, DIY silicone hose for oil return

* Stock L28 oil pump

* Treadstone single-sided intercooler, model TRV125

* DIY intercooler piping with T-bolt clamps

* MSA downpipe, with O2 bung relocated downstream

* 2.5" exhaust

* K&N conical filter mounted directly to turbo inlet

* Knockoff Greddy Type-RS BOV vented to atmosphere

* NGK BPR6ES plugs

* Magnecor spark plug wires

* Unknown clutch and flywheel... not sure if it will hold or not with increased boost

* MS1, V3.0 ECU running MSnS, with relay board

* Innovate LC-1 wideband, but not hooked up yet

The conversion took so long mainly because I just didn't (and currently still don't) have much time to work on it. It's been a great learning experience, and all the work I've put into it has finally paid off.

I still have a lot of fine tuning to do with the Megasquirt once I get the wideband hooked up, but the car is running quite well now, good enough to drive at least.

I'm sure there are issues that will creep up, especially where I skimped on things due to cost and/or effort involved to complete. But for now, I'm just going to try and drive the thing as much as I can and enjoy it.

To those that have helped me with my questions and troubles, thank you. And a great thanks to HybridZ in general with a wealth of valuable information.

Cheers,

Bill

** Edited to add downpipe and exhaust info **

Edited by OhBilly

Have you had any problems with the 1/4'' fuel return?

I swapped mine out for 5/16'' in my 73 240, but I was curious to see if you've noticed any fuel system/pressure issues yet?

This is eerily similar to what my winter turbo build is going to be. N42/n42 standalone stock t3 turbo build.

I'll be watching to see how it turns out. Nice work!

Mike, I'll definitely be taking it easy for a while, even after the wideband is hooked up. Luckily I'm pretty patient about these things.

Andy, I haven't had it running long enough to know if I have any return issues yet. But so far at idle (worst condition) it seems to be working fine.

I do have a question though about fuel pressure. I have my static pressure (engine not running) set at 42psi, but at idle it sits at about 32psi or so. Is this normal?

** EDIT: Figured out the fuel pressure drop at idle, and it is okay. Since the FPR has a pressure reference port, the spring pressure automatically adjusts with manifold pressure. My MAP at idle is about 30kPA which would drop the fuel pressure by about 10psi, which is exactly what I am seeing.

Edited by OhBilly

Glad to hear everything is nice and running, No thank you for helping me actually. Hopefully I can return the favor.

Thanks, and no problem trying to help you out with your injector issues... that's what this place is about.