HybridZ

280z Exhaust tuck?

Brother, the problem ain't your exhaust-your car is, like, on the ground (I'm looking at the angle on your half-shafts). It is better to scrape your exhaust than to drag your as s. Think of your exhaust like a curb feeler. Seriously, your stuff is gonna be draggin' unless you go to 1" pipe. Get you some stacks like a semi truck and run 'em straight out the hood! I don't see any other way, unless you add a little ride height.

In my opinion there's almost two inches of room to move the exhaust up. You've just got a poorly made exhaust. It isn't hung very well.

Ok, makes sense, this is not a 'custom' exhaust, but that is the route I think I need to take. I, myself just couldn't see a way to make it better, but that's probably not my job in the first place. I see the limitation I was giving it, and it was based on a "bought" exhaust instead of someone taking the time to make it fit right.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Christine

Kuro/Christine, is this the car that was posted on JDMChicago a few weeks ago/been circulating the internet?

My 280z is low enough that when I had a "custom" exhaust it was pretty low hanging and would scrape 95% of the time. The main issue for me ended up being the header merge collector (MSA 3-2 header) was too low. I chopped a good amount off the two header pipes and made a custom Y pipe/merge collector and then rebuilt the exhaust, making sure to tuck it as close to the rear cross member and dif as possible.

Of course this was easier because I had access to a welder and a pipe cutter, but it should be pretty easy.

good luck!

Kuro/Christine, is this the car that was posted on JDMChicago a few weeks ago/been circulating the internet?

My 280z is low enough that when I had a "custom" exhaust it was pretty low hanging and would scrape 95% of the time. The main issue for me ended up being the header merge collector (MSA 3-2 header) was too low. I chopped a good amount off the two header pipes and made a custom Y pipe/merge collector and then rebuilt the exhaust, making sure to tuck it as close to the rear cross member and dif as possible.

Of course this was easier because I had access to a welder and a pipe cutter, but it should be pretty easy.

good luck!

Yes that's mine... I have the msa headers right now (3-2) and I did have that done already. It did help somewhat, but it's still hitting in the front as well as the rear. I'm swapping the engine for an l28et this winter, so a custom exhaust will be in order anyway. I'll deal with the scraping for now :). I may have to do something special with the frame rails as well, but I'll update once I get it worked out.

Yes that's mine... I have the msa headers right now (3-2) and I did have that done already. It did help somewhat, but it's still hitting in the front as well as the rear. I'm swapping the engine for an l28et this winter, so a custom exhaust will be in order anyway. I'll deal with the scraping for now :). I may have to do something special with the frame rails as well, but I'll update once I get it worked out.

Sweet! Been seeing a lot of this car lately so I'm glad to have some of its history! I had an unfortunant run in with a bridge expansion joint which resulted in a new merge collector being put on my header. Instead of continuing the twin pipes down, where it turns into one pipe, it contours really close to the transmission.

Full custom exhaust will fit the bill nicely though. I'm interested to see what you do with the frame rails, since I've been thinking about shortening them somehow.

Good luck!!!