HybridZ

240z Father Son Project

Just using the knowledge that I've been compiling over the years of being a car-addict, Z-cars very much included. Hopefully soon, I will be racing cars often. ;)

For springs, JohnC recommends using 280Z Tokico springs as they are linear rate and can be cut to size. Keep in mind that when you cut springs, you are increasing their rate.

FWIW, I remember at least one person here posting a video of the suspension moving during a track day. Just found it, brought to you by clarkspeed: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/97034-video-of-working-suspension/

I think it's great that you're getting your kids involved! Not enough people have any sort of mechanical aptitude (let alone aptitude of any kind) anymore.

Edited by Leon

• 3 months later...

Hello all...  It is time for an update.

Since my last post we connected the dash electrical and mechanical, and have installed the interior, cleaned up misc wiring in the engine compartment and connected up gas pump in rear of car.

post-29130-0-04719300-1367724220_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-14541200-1367723926_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-46560300-1367724231_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-12575000-1367724130_thumb.jpg

Interior:

We used new plastic panels and vinyl from motorsport.  The Vinyl went in okay however the plastic panels needed to be trimmed prior to installation.  We purchased 50sq feet of be quiet sound deadening and used it on the outer door panels, roof, floor, interior hatch, and as many places we could find where thin metal could vibrate.  next we went to home depot and purchased 4 linear feet of carpet and glued it into the front of the car and laid it on the rear deck with no fasteners. 

post-29130-0-47134800-1367724873_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-73325200-1367724888_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-13636600-1367725372_thumb.jpg

Weatherstripping.

We purchased weather stripping kit from Motorsport.  Everything worked out great except for the hatch and door openings.  The wetherstriping at the door openings seems too hard!  Wehave to slam the hatch and the doors to get them to close.  i hear this is a common problem and may revisit this issue.

Doors.

I made a mistake and cleaned two drivers side door mechanisms so I had to go back to the plater.  I took advanntage of this by removing all metal inside the door and having it all replated!  Additionally I took the old stainless steel and polished it around the windows.  Metal is great cause you can sand away years of neglect and it comes back looking great!    

post-29130-0-93174400-1367724906_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-48837300-1367724933_thumb.jpgpost-29130-0-32221300-1367724154_thumb.jpg

Spare tire trim.

I used a CNC machine (I had a membership at Maker Place in San diego) so I went a bit overboard...

post-29130-0-77848900-1367724143_thumb.jpg

All in all, the car has taken shape and we displayed it at the Motorsport show two weeks ago.

Today we have 200 miles on the engine, and as expected first gear goes from 0 to 40MPH, and the car is not tremendously (due to gearing) fast off the line as designed.  However after about 30mph, the car pulls pretty good.!  

Last picture is the car at the Motorsport show.  We had a great time!  

post-29130-0-92860900-1367724949_thumb.jpg

Believe it or not, the car came with some really nice 14" rims.  I would have polished them and kept them but today it is simple to purchase 17" rims and as a kid I always wanted to do that!  

Did you say you were going to come to long beach this year?  That's not too far away from us, maybe we could meet at the show and you could show off your car?!  

Believe it or not, the car came with some really nice 14" rims.  I would have polished them and kept them but today it is simple to purchase 17" rims and as a kid I always wanted to do that!  

Did you say you were going to come to long beach this year?  That's not too far away from us, maybe we could meet at the show and you could show off your car?!  

I like the 14-inchers, wish there were decent tire options out there.

I will hopefully be at Long Beach this year. I went last year in the orange car and I don't think I want to put myself through that again... :lol:

It would be awesome to meet up, will you be taking the Z to the show?

Leon.

If you're coming out to the show, of course I'd drive the Z.  It would be nice to meet you!  I would really like to learn about the cam you are specifying (maybe you will make one for me also? ) and learn more about tractive effort.  

Regarding rims...  you like the the old 14 inch rims?  

I have a set of 4 in my garage (see below pic). Back in the day, I powder coated them flat black then polished the outer edge of the rim (mounted the tire on the rear axle and idled the car in 2nd gear and used sandpapaer then a polish rag.  The rims looked so nice when I was done.   You could do the same to my rims, if you want them.  I'll check to see if they are 6" wide or 7" wide.  Regarding rubber for the tires, I suggest 195 65 14s for the front and 215 65 14 for the rears.  225 rims wont work on 6 inch wide rims, you need 7 inch wide rims for the rears to make that work.

post-29130-0-09164000-1367973828_thumb.jpg

Leon.

If you're coming out to the show, of course I'd drive the Z.  It would be nice to meet you!  I would really like to learn about the cam you are specifying (maybe you will make one for me also? ) and learn more about tractive effort.  

Regarding rims...  you like the the old 14 inch rims?  

I have a set of 4 in my garage (see below pic). Back in the day, I powder coated them flat black then polished the outer edge of the rim (mounted the tire on the rear axle and idled the car in 2nd gear and used sandpapaer then a polish rag.  The rims looked so nice when I was done.   You could do the same to my rims, if you want them.  I'll check to see if they are 6" wide or 7" wide.  Regarding rubber for the tires, I suggest 195 65 14s for the front and 215 65 14 for the rears.  225 rims wont work on 6 inch wide rims, you need 7 inch wide rims for the rears to make that work.

Cool Jim, it would be fun to chat. Taking the Z to JCCS is in the plans, I'll just have to talk it over with the fiancee (will be "the wife" by JCCS time!).

I've actually been selling off my rims, I had 4 sets of 14" rims at one point! I still have 2 sets of slots, one set of 14X6 and the other 14X7. The 7-inchers don't fit within the stock fenders though. The funny thing is, is that the other set I have is almost just as you describe! Here they are mounted on my first 240Z:

P1010042.jpg

Besides those, I also have a set of 14X6 turbine-style wheels. I just wish there were decent tires for 14 and 15-inch tires. The lack of tire choices have me looking at 16s. I'll probably be boring and go with another set of Panasports unless I find a wheel that works well with the green color and vintage motif of the car.

Great rims!  

I'm going to send a picture to my brother!  when he crashed his z they towed it away and miraculously next morning the rims were stolen from the car.  I guess there is not a high demand for 4 bold rims these days...

What are the odds?  I guess great minds think alike?

See you at JCCS.

Jim 

Great rims!  

I'm going to send a picture to my brother!  when he crashed his z they towed it away and miraculously next morning the rims were stolen from the car.  I guess there is not a high demand for 4 bold rims these days...

What are the odds?  I guess great minds think alike?

See you at JCCS.

Jim 

I bought these rims from a guy in Livermore so I hope that they're not actually your brother's stolen wheels!

See you there, Jim.