HybridZ

R32 gtr vs 280z chassis dimensions.

stony

I have found several things here and there but was wondering if anyone has something specifically comparing front end measurements between the 280z and r32 gtr. I have been thinking allot lately how easy (or hard) it would be to build a tube chassis front clip and use the TTT rear r230 conversion to use an entire gtr drivetrain in a 280Z. Don’t really want to start another if you have enough money you can do it thread, just looking for specific measurements.

My guess is new frame rails and some reinforcement to bolt in the gtr front subframe. then use wheel offset to correct any wheel track issues.

o0640048010980473119.jpg

Its a start.

Ive been planning something like this for my 260Z for years. I havent run across the right deal on a front clip yet though.

The AWD posting thats been active lately had a link to a japanese website. I tossed the link into google and let them translate most of it. I think for the most part the guy behind that has the idea. Use the Skyline chassis for the main structure and use the S30 as the skin, though I wouldnt have cut away as much of the car as that guy did. I would have left most of the S30 firewall and transmission tunnel intact.

Ive debated using the rear cross member from the same car as I have access to those, but no rear frame which would pose the problem of dealing with geometry. Using the T3 R230 sounds like a good alternative.

If this had the brakes this is kinda what i'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Skyline-GTR-R32-Engine-Jdm-RB26DETT-Engine-GTR-ENGINE-R32-RB26-T-LSD-DIFF-/271077663648?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1d7ce3a0&vxp=mtr

Pull the diff, axles, and use the TTT rear conversion. Then cut out the stock Z engine bay frame rails and wide in some new rails a little wider so the sub frame bolts in. I know it would be harder then it sounds but that is about the easiest way i can think off. I was looking at some of the measurements between the z and gtr. The strut mounts are actually pretty close.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what i'm talking about with doing a tube chassis. if you have all the measurements i don't know why this couldn't be done relatively easy. If done right you could just bolt in the r32/33 front so the front wheels are in the center of the wheel well. Oh boy i'm getting the itch.

tubechassis.jpg

A good fabricator could push that front diff all the way forward too... which would be fantastic.

BTW, Ive watch most of Jay's Videos. I wish I had known about it when I lived in Rancho Cordova. My wife worked out at Mather Air Field. I know that whole area pretty well. I wish I could have seen it in person.

Ive thought of it, and Im assuming its not that much harder than converting a Z.

Id assume a rack from another Nissan LHD model would work or that one could be adapted from a Subaru. I would make a bet though that the 240sx rack is a bolt in seeing as the cross members swap back and forth for the RB swap into the 240sx.

Ray

Edited by rayaapp2

Ive thought of it, and Im assuming its not that much harder than converting a Z.

Id assume a rack from another Nissan LHD model would work or that one could be adapted from a Subaru. I would make a bet though that the 240sx rack is a bolt in seeing as the cross members swap back and forth for the RB swap into the 240sx.

Ray

Yea i was thinking the same thing

Yea i was thinking the same thing

The biggest setback for me is the front axle position. I dont like how it dictates position of the engine in the chassis. Moving the suspension and the front differential forward so its configured for the Z is probably the hardest part for me. Tube chassis the car and use one of those FRP fiberglass shells. Of course Id start with a rusted clean titled donor vin. But Im in California. I already have the car I want to do it to. Ive wanted to do it for years.

• 2 months later...

yes,

The VQ 4wd is a far better option in regards to the front diff/drive in relation to the motor and its mounts etc.

Another candidate is the VQ25det from the nm35 Stagea or infinity you guys also have???

Try giggle for some pics...my mate has the NM35 Stag, it looks like an awesome swap (in lieu of the rb),

Maybe with a 30 or 35 motor in exchange but.

• 2 weeks later...

If i could find a R32 i would just cut the body off, shorten it by whatever to make the wheel base fit on the Z and drop the shell of the Z on top of it. Or just finance a R35 and enjoy life.

Thats the best idea yet ;> the R35 part :trippen:  :trippen:  :trippen: