HybridZ

Another High speed vibration thread

ihiryu

So right before I get on the highway my car had a strange vibration, I figured it was the road. As I got onto the highway it got worse, and something didn't feel right at all. At sixty miles an hour the vibration was terrible, and the faster I went the worse it got.

I pulled over (it was night and hard to see) but I took a peek underneath and nothing seemed amiss. No driveshaft hanging, no axles hanging, nothing weird. Checked the lug nuts, and visually inspected spacers (everything looked flush against the rotor). The vibration seems like it comes from the rear.

Any ideas to check guys?

So I made it home and this morning I jacked up the rear of the car, and spun each rear wheel only to hear a slight clunk noise. Jacked up the other side, and same clunk noise. I took a peek underneath and saw my drive shaft spinning, but it was off center. So I'm thinking my propeller shaft (transmission to differential) has gone bad. A little research online shows that you can't replace the u-joints in the Z's driveshaft. I don't have a lift available to me at the moment (two cars stuck on our lifts to get work finished up).

So does anyone know about if there's anything else I should look out for? Or do I just need to order a new propeller shaft?

Put your spare tire on and rotate it thru all 4 tires checking for the vibration to go away when you've got the spare in the place of the offending tire. A lot less cost/work than going straight to something more costly and less common. Vibrations that increase with increased vehicle speed are most likely a problem with the tires.

I have a similar problem. I have a 71 s30, I installed the whole technotoytunning rear suspension with the r200, I went for a drive and the rear of the car beggins to shake at 40mph and gets worse as I speed up, their is no noise just vibration, I contacted TTT and their advice did not help. wheels are balanced and aligned, everything is well tightened...Any advice would be much appretiated