HybridZ

Custom Intake/Plenum for FI Turbo

I put this thread in members projects because it will be a project that I hope I will get some help on from the knowledgable folks here on this site.

As you can see from the pics this intake/plenum is far from done-but it is a nice start. I am currently running triple Mikuni's, but someday I was wanting to proceed on to FI and hopefully Turbo FI. I had some momentary thoughts of pressurizing my Mikuni's, but have decided-(by reading all the negatives) that it would be more of a cool factor than a good running set-up.

I will post this disclaimer-I am a novice to FI and have a lot to learn. I have had plans, and still do, to run a megasquirt on my car. I was planning on learning about MS by installing it to run my spark on my current Mikuni set-up. Instead of doing a complete change over at once, I could get familiar with MS by running spark control and not take my car completely out of commission. I set-up my flywheel to run a Hall effect sensor and hopefully it will work. I will run COP.

Not sure if this custom intake came from a member here or not, maybe they will chime in. It looks to be thought out by using the Cannon intake. The tig welding looks great and air horns are welded in on the plenum side to provide the proper radius. All that was blended in with some port work to make everything seamless. What you see is what I got, still have to close it in and set-up FI bungs and throttle body.

I will be looking for input on injector placement and plenum shape. From what I have read it seems that injectors should be as close to head as possible for best idling and running characteristics-though it seems I have read that it's not critical to be right at the head. Agree? I am running an early e-88 head that is NOT notched for injectors. The bungs that were provided look to be for 14mm injectors.

Still need to do research on what type,size injector to run. Love to run something common that I can steal from a wreck!!

As far as plenum finishing, I will be taking into consideartion size and shape of the finished product. pretty sure that the TB will be 60mm. I haven't measured volume of this plenum yet, but sizing looks good. Trying to picture in my head what the original owner was going with the shape or location of entry.

Please feel free to comment or give advice on this project. I am looking for some guidance and the proper do's and don'ts on this. I will be doing a lot of research on this and post my thoughts before proceeding.If anyone knows of similiar projects using the carby intake please send me a link.

• 1 month later...