HybridZ

Best block for a l31et

S30Turbo

Referring to the fact that Nissan used the F54 block to make the factory L28et, and that it's widely considered the "best block" I'd go out on a very sturdy limb to say that the F54 block would be your "best choice." As far as I know, they really aren't much different except the F54 has the siamesed cylinders, adding strength. Also they are the latest block so I guess you gain maybe a bit better metallurgy, and a newer block. Refer to this: http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/index.htm

before giving advice make shore you have a idear about the subject ,,,,

Some f54s are so thin in the bore you are lucky to get to 88mm ,1 in 3 do not have any wall in them and sonic fail , its the N42 that will take a big bore most pass the sonic test but most times i have to move the bore to get wall thicknes to get 89mm because there the block that is Siamesed you can do that .... f54 is a better block for cooling because water flows around the hole cylinder and this was a better thing in the turbo engine , but in big stroker engines with big bores the N42 is the block to have

Edited by PMC raceengines

before giving advice make shore you have a idear about the subject ,,,,

Some f54s are so thin in the bore you are lucky to get to 88mm ,1 in 3 do not have any wall in them and sonic fail , its the N42 that will take a big bore most pass the sonic test but most times i have to move the bore to get wall thicknes to get 89mm because there the block that is Siamesed you can do that .... f54 is a better block for cooling because water flows around the hole cylinder and this was a better thing in the turbo engine , but in big stroker engines with big bores the N42 is the block to have

Yep, I got a similar story from Rebello when I questioned his decision to use an N42 over F54 for my 89mm bore bottom end.

Edited by rossman

I have bought several N42's at our local pull and save yard for $150 for complete engine. Around 6-8 Z's seem to filter through each year. There is one out there right now, I just don't feel like crawling around in the rain to pull it, and it will be snow soon!

I have bought several N42's at our local pull and save yard for $150 for complete engine. Around 6-8 Z's seem to filter through each year. There is one out there right now, I just don't feel like crawling around in the rain to pull it, and it will be snow soon!

Try to find those engines in SoCal. I agree they are out there but not at that price. Or you have to wait around awhile to find one. At least we don't have snow.

Francisco,

Don't get me wrong I like strokers, I spent close to $7,000 on my stroker and am now on a turbo motor. If I had the $7,000 straight up for improvements on the turbo L28, I would be a lot farther ahead. Get an aftermarket ECU sorted out on the L28ET, before you look for more displacement. Small steps and keep the car drivable, you will enjoy it more.

Edited by ctc

Yep, I got a similar story from Rebello when I questioned his decision to use an N42 over F54 for my 89mm bore bottom end.

Same for me from Sunbelt when I had them build a 3L. So, in this thread, we have three professional engine builders chose the N42 over the F54.

Will an L28et with the same upgrades and boost make the same power as an L31et with the same upgrades and boost.

Is there pros and cons for building an L31et (besides the money) ;) and it looks like Engine builders prefer the N42 block.

I bought a used L31ET with an F54 block. They sonic tested five F54 blocks until they finally found one that they were happy with. Crossing Fingers...haven't ran it yet but has even compression. It sounds like it would be a good idea to have any block that you are planning to use sonic tested.