HybridZ

Engine cranks, but won't start. (No Spark)

Dear HybridZ,

I have a 1977 280z and I'm having some trouble getting it starting. I don't seem to get spark from any of my plugs. The car was working fine the other day, but suddenly decided not to work. I've had starting problems in the past, but I have been able to fix them with some good ol' starter fluid. That trick won't work this time. The engine cranks just fine (starter gets proper voltage, as well.) I've checked the battery and the connectors, all work fine. I replaced my ignition coil, and all of the wires (ignition wire and spark plug wires) and I've also replaced the plugs, themselves. Still, no spark. I checked the resistance of my distributor cap and I got around 0.9 to 1.2 ohms. I believe it is suppose to be near 0, but I don't know if my level of resistance is enough to prevent the car from starting.

My main question is this; Are the possible issues in the distributor, the cap and the rotor? How could I accurately test each one? (I've searched Google, but I've fond a ton of different answers that are totally irrelevant. Maybe I'm not looking correctly.)

What else could be causing this?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Your car has electronic ignition. The problem could be the ignition module, the pickup coil in the distributor, power supply to ignition system, mechanical (is the distributor rotor turning), etc. The Electrical chapter of the FSM does give a good detailed description of how it works and what to check. Instead of using the 1977 FSM, download the 1976 files and open the EL chapter, the 1977 internet FSM is the whole thing in one file and hard to get through. 1977 and 1976 used the same setup, things changed in 1978.

Since you have a meter, turn the key on and check for battery voltage on both terminals of the coil, negative and positive, with all wires attached.