HybridZ

Gutting 240Z hood

heavy85

There isn't any structure throughout the majority of the hood as it's just a single layer of formed sheetmetal. However there is at least three layers in the structure that runs round the perimeter. Weight reduction is my goal and it's for a road race application. I was considering making a fiberglass hood as an offseason project but am limited on space for that size of project and am wondering if the effort will be worth it in the end. Instead I'm thinking of trimming back the hood structure and ditching the latch for pins. The hood weighs 38 lb currently. Anyone tried this and if so how much weight could be taken out of a stock hood?

Thanks

Cameron

My race car had a chopped up hood when I bought it. It weighed 26.5 lbs. It eventually began to crack apart after years of abuse. I replaced with FG shell I reinforced myself. It weighs 11.5. I was going to cut up a hatch in similar fashion, but ended up buying FG instead.

I got a seconds-quality carbon fiber hood when I tried to order a fiberglass hood. The company sold it to me for the fiberglass price. I can't find any flaws in it and it is as light as a potato chip. Removing the stock hood was a 2-man job. It is now an easy one-man job with barely any back strain, just awkward due to the size.

Same as Rebeekah's Z, I went with a "second" that had a cosmetic flaw. Painting the hood hid it completely.

Price could not be beat! I couldn't buy the layup resin...hell I couldn't buy the GELCOAT for what I paid to get that CF Second.

Its tedious but a couple hours later and Ive taken 7 lbs out leaving the hinge and latch. Hoping to be able to take at least another lb or two. Im now having a bit of hackers remourse as when I do eventually make a composite version mine hoodmwill be more flexible and not make as good of a mold from. Oh well Im going to keep at it. It all adds up and my 100 lb weight reduction goal will take a bunch of little stuff to have a remote chance.

Cameron