HybridZ

price on a skyline 2.6 TT

Guest Anonymous

From a practicality standpoint, for those of us without connections in the US, I agree.

But watch Wangan Midnight movies (I've now watched Wangan Midnight I,II,II, and Shin Wangan I and II) and you'll see the lure. 600hp, that great whooshing sound - very intoxicating! Wish I could understand the dialogue!

hmmm...even if you do have connections in Japan, things arent always so cheap, but I guess its the only option that you would have.Me personally, If I lived in the states I would never buy an RB26DETT...simply because of the price of parts. If a shop was to get parts for you, I guess they could charge you whatever they like, as there arent going to be many other ways to get the parts.

However, luckily I dont have to worry SO much about that as luckily I am not in the US.

Ray

Hrm, if parts were available and there were people around that knew how to do it I'd go with something other than a SBC! turbo motors are awesome and while it's true you can do a turbo SBC it's not like there are stock manifolds or OEM parts laying around for the swap. Keeping the car all Japanese has some allure to me too. Nothing like blasting past a 'Vette on the strip and seeing his eyes bug when you pop the hood. With a V8 it'll be fun too but I think a 6 or 4cyl motor would be even more fun. Maybe next time around icon_smile.gif Heck, I'm still waiting for the AWD Lancer to come over and am hoping that the SkyLine makes it over too. I'd LOVE to have one of those puppies! icon_eek.gif

Hey i agree with all of you on teh negatives of teh rb swap and if i planned on staying in teh states would have never done it. the parts are expensive but if you look at the build on the motor and have access to replacement parts its a cheaper motor to build. motor is built to handle 600 hp without pulling teh valve covers off. can you build a SBC long block for 4000 that will handle 600 HP? I really dont know but i really didnt think it was possible? But as i said above i dont plan on living in teh states and V-8 parts in japan are even more expensive then the rb parts. well maybe not mail order. But on top of that not many shops deal with v-8......anyways ill stop blabbing. and again agree with all comments on teh rb swap and if your thinking about the swap dont even consider it unless you have access to teh japanese tuning market ;>

later

stony

Guest Anonymous

Here are a few of my thoughts:

V8's are good engines as is the RB26dett.The Rb26dett is a better design over a V8 for making the most HP per cid. It's like comparing apples to oranges. When alot of guys start a project they say " Hey, I can get a v8 for $250. and stick that in my Z". I think that if we looked at some of the costs that the V8 guys are putting into their engines you would find that in the long run the cost would be very close to a RB26dett. Comparing a carb V8 to a fuel injected engine I'd take the fuel injected one any day! Multi valve head(s), more valves the better. Turbo or none turbo? Give me a PSI!! I don't see parts as a big problem because they can be purchased on the net and in the states and yes, I will have to pay more for parts than if I were to build a V8 project and the parts might take longer to get, but I knew that when I bought it. However, go to a Nissan dealer and check parts on a newer 300z and I think you would agree that they are not cheap! The bearings in my engine with 30K miles were almost like new and could have be reused and this was with a 300hp motor. So how often do you have to replace parts inside of an engine? Now I hope we are not talking about daily drivers, but one off street performance machines. On any engine if you break it, it cost money and the better the design the more the parts cost. As with the V8 crowd it started with one V8 Z and now it has started a flood of the V8's which I think is a good thing and the same with the Rb26dett engine, it starts with one then two and so on. My approach to building a performance car is that to do better, you have to do different ( and it my cost more to do it). Look at Daruis's Z, It makes big HP and smokes the tires like his dad owns Firestone. Ask him how much he has into the engine and I think alot of people would say that's alot of money, also ask Scotty about his Turbo GNZ. My first car was a 1951 Pontiac two door with a Straight Six in it, God!!! is that where all of this started. Better yet, my second car was a 1950 Pontiac with a in Straight Inline flat head 8. ( the head looked like the deck of an aircraft carrier icon_eek.gif )

Dan icon_wink.gif

Guest John Adkins

quote:

Originally posted by Dan Lewis:

V8's are good engines as is the RB26dett.
The Rb26dett is a better design over a V8 for making the most HP per cid.
It's like comparing apples to oranges.

??? Are you saying the orange is better than the apple?

icon_rolleyes.gif

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: John Adkins ]

"Better Design" doesn't necessarily equate to "better". Most people would admit that the real beauty of the SBC is parts availability. Its simply got the biggest aftermarket out there. IMHO that makes it a better engine than most out there.

Its sorta the old Betamax/VHS thing, Beta was a "better design" but VHS had a bigger following, and in the end it was deemed "better" because more people had it, and it became easier to find parts (movies) for.

This record keeps playing over and over doesn't it? icon_wink.gif

All good points guys.

I personally don't care if some other engine that I don't have is somehow "better" I just want it to go like stink when I hit the go pedal, no downshifting needed. Simple, huh?

Heck, electric motors have a perfectly flat torque curve - from 0 rpm to redline icon_wink.gif.

Guest Anonymous

I've no doubt it will be expensive, but I bet it's a lot cheaper than ferrari parts and It'll be nice knowing I can blow a ferrari's doors off. icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

I know this is a little off the subject here but i just had to ask. Does anybody know of anyone that has done an AWD swap into a Z or ZX. My curiousity got the best of me icon_smile.gif

I would have to say that if you can get the whole skyline drivtrain to work out for you tha would be one seriously sweet car to have as a daily driver.

I was kicking around the same thought too but the price of it deturred me. also i just like the rumble of a healthy V8 icon_biggrin.gif . but I may have found the best of both worlds though. I've been thinking (oops, all this thinking has set off the fire alarm again!!) icon_wink.gif about maybe trying to rig up the drivetrain out of an old cyclone/syclone (not sure how they spelled it) I seem to remeber those as having a AWD drivetrain. all i would really need would be the transfer case and front diff/suspension. these came from the factory already mated to a v8.

I mean who wouldn't want that for their z. heck, if i try todo this i could even justify buying a blower since I'll need that extra power to make sure i can light up ALL of my tires on command icon_biggrin.gif

My brother has a talon and it's fairly fun in the dry, but we get like 6 months of winter here and it is sooo much fun in the winter. A cop would be totally useless against this car in the winter. We are big fans of WRC, and pretend to be Collin Mcrea (except we never roll it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif )

Guest Anonymous

Hmm Skyline chassis maybe? AWD, 4ws, Longitudinally mounted drivetrain? Considering that any AWD Z would require substantial fabrication, might as well be the Skyline as any of em. Of course I'm somewhat biased.

the wheelbase of a gtr and width are quite a bit bigger then the z. teh z body will have to be modded alot to fit the drivetrain and with teh transfer case being on teh driverside of teh car there wont be much room to move around on that side.... Ive also heard this is why teh gtr never made it to teh states (one of many) is that it count be modded to LHD.

laterz

clint

One of he Summit roadster type cars used AWD and a V8 from a Typhoon I believe. One of the car mags had a writeup on it about 6months ago I think. They DID retain AWD so it IS posisble to do. Look aorund for it and perhaps that will give you some ideas..

Guest Anonymous

Hey Stony,

I will try to get a manual for you. icon_biggrin.gif

On the GTR's, the reason Nissin didn't import to the US market is due to the space around the turbo area which is where the steering shaft needs to go. I'v also been told that due to the 100 octane fuel in Japan and the US DEQ regs. would force the car to be specially designed for the US market and due to the added cost would push the price up to a level where there is allot of other cars that might be faster for the same money. I also heard that due to the bumper regs. in the US that the GTR's intercooler would be limited because of the added bumper size required and I was told that is why the 300z has twin turbo's and two smaller intercoolers split onto each side of the bumper.

The tranfer case (TC) is on the right side of the car where the driver would sit in Japan. The tranfer case has a small drive line that go's forward to a front diff that is built into the right side of an beefy alloy oil pan. The oil pan has a tube that runs though the center of the pan to the right and left side. The tube is used to run the axle from the diff on the right side of the pan though to the left front wheel. The pan also act as a block stiffner. The front diff is engaged by a pump which tranfers fluid to the TC diff on the end of the trans. The pump will engage the TC diff if the computer, which uses a set of g-sensor mounted in a small metal box mounted on the console by the e-brake, to start the pump to engage the front wheels. Most of the time the GTR's are running in rear wheel drive and only use the front wheels when the computer says that there is a real need for 4WD. The good thing about the G-sensors is that there is some easy to construct black boxes which trick the main computer and by mounting a dial switch on the dash , one can make the car run with any amount of tranfer just by turning a dial icon_wink.gif If you what alot or a little of understeer or oversteer, just turn a dial. icon_eek.gif

Dan GTRZ

I think you would end up installing a Z body over an existing chassis rather than adapting an AWD system to a Z. And the candidates are: Subaru (especially the SVX), the Eclipse, the Cyclone & Typhoon. I like the idea of a Typhoon/Cyclone because it it already set up for a longitudinal mounted American motor. Cool idea you guys are bopping about...

David

hey now, im not sayin that the rb26 is weak at all, at one point i was about to sell my v8z, buy a nice 240z, and slap some boost on a six, and valves or great, so are twin cams, cant knock that at all, but my pockets started crying when i started comparing my

dollar to horspower numbers. sure injection is great, my next move is a lt1/t56, but why do you want to have a motor from a car that requires a international call for a distributor? havent seen wangan midnite yet, really want to, i think a lot of like our trendy carbed v8 cars because dollar for horspower is there for us for peanuts knowing that autozone got my back.

i really hope skyline parts would be more abundant myself, or that the car itself would finally come through, more boost in general is a good thing. sure you can get 600hp out the rb26dett, but you can get teh same amount with Torque of the gods with a v8 built boostin. why not, all motor they can do it, a single carbed sbc blower can come to 450hp real nice. thats 1000 in jegs.

a couple of years ago i was climbing around in one of those used japanese engine places in bay area.i found a nissan fj20 turbo engine with trans & tranfer case.these were in some kind i japan only car.this is a 2.0 liter 4 cyl .could probably be made to work with some kind of front wheel drive steering spindles & struts(honda,subaru).this would work in a light early 70-73 z.best place for ideas on parts is by looking at cars at pic&pull.i looked for 2 hours for skyline engine-no luck.found a nissan cima engine and a 1.6 liter 5 valve /cyl toyota motor.if you want to get a japanese motor that make big power get a 3 rotor mazda turbo-500 hp on only 12 psi boost.i found a place where you can get a t56 trans adaptor for it.