HybridZ

All lights on car quit working

HarveyZ

Car is a 260z with 400 sbc. A couple months ago I had my low beams on and went to turn the brights on. When i hit the dimmer lever to turn on the brights my headlights went out. Hit the switch again to turn the low beams back on they worked fine. Everytime i tried to turn on the brights the headlights went out but come back on as soon as i turn them on dim. Last night on my way home when i hit my dimmer switch every light on the car quit working. Nothing works, no brake lights, running lights, headlights, interior lights, nothing....   When i checked my fuses my number 3 fuse was blown. Was this caused by a short or has my dimmer switch went out and maybe thats what blew the fuse?? Im no electrical genius at all, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's another link from the same site - http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/electrical.htm Click on the 74 PDF file.  Pages 6 and 7 might be the most helpful.

It's odd that your brake lights are out also, Ithink that they have their own separate circuit from the running lights, headlights and turn signals.  Maybe not.

By "flashers" loy might have been referring to the Hazard lights.  It's fairly common for the Hazard switch, the one by the Defrost switch under the radio, to get corroded and screw things up.  Search around and you'll find some threads on cleaning it up. 

Edited by NewZed

• 4 weeks later...

yes, everything quit???? Been working so much overtime that I still havent had a chance to look into it. But its been rattling my brain trying to figure out what caused it. Im thinking its a short in the dimmer switch since they quit working as soon as i hit the switch. Plus it wasnt turning the brights on anyways, it would just turn the headlights off

First place to check is the circuit breakers.  There is one circuit breaker that tends to overheat and melt in the 240z-that killed most of the lights in my car.  You will see a lot of early z's in junk yards with burned up circuit breaker housings and that is what killed it for mine.  Had to external wire that circuit breaker and that fixed it!  Good luck, I feel your pain.