HybridZ

Please post photo of LS oil pan protection/guarding

Pan came in. Looks good but the paint job sucks. Says it should have a 5 qt capacity, plus the remote filter, plus the 3 qt accusump I'll be running. I think I'll be OK.

Very Nice 4 trap doors.  Curious to know with the trap doors, if the accusump will be activated in hard corners.  If you can remember, please let us know.  I have a SBC oil pan with kick-outs and trap doors and want to know if an oil accumulator will be needed for hard cornering in road racing.

I'll get a pic of the pan installed on the engine tomorrow. Still not in the car yet. If I had it to do over again, I'd measure how far the bell housing hangs down and make the pan that depth. As it is I think the pan is shorter than necessary. The LS evidently has some oiling issues so I'm hoping this does enough, but I'm pretty well sure that the accumulator will see action. I have a mechanical valve, so I don't know how to tell you it worked after the fact, other than to have a passenger stare at the gauge.

BTW anyone installing the LS2/3 pan in car with with jci mounts you will have to lift the motor. It will NOT slide in and out like the LS1 pan due to the thicker front section not clearing the front crossember.

You can lift just the passenger's side with a 2x4 and a floor jack. Its precarious and tricky, but will get you out of a tight spot if you don't have a cherry picker.

It appears the lowest part of my car is the LS1 oil pan.  I'm curious what others have done in terms of protecting the pan with a guard etc...  I have a few ideas and before I start I wanted to see what others have done.  I could probably find a different pan to improve clearance but I'm really looking to do this w/o messing with the pan etc.  

Thanks - Mike

Should you decide to swap pans the LS2 Corvette pan is a good choice with good clearance and decent baffling. It came on the early C6's, from '05 to '07. They went to an LS3 in '08.

P1000100_zpscfb126b7.jpg

P1000099_zps395d12fb.jpg

P1000111_zps716a9f9e.jpg

P1020120_zps6cfd969d.jpg

You can see I need to re-locate my lower control arms!