HybridZ

cross flow Z head

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

While reading I came across a pic of a rally 240Z with a crossflow hemi style head. I'm sure long extinct by now but worth asking if anyone has ever seen one or know where one might be.

Guest Anonymous

I'd love to photograph one myself.

There was a white Z running around Sacramento, CA a few years back with one of these heads. Haven't heard any reports about it for a long time now.

They are very hard to find. I have had standing orders from 2 different persons over the years that offerred to pay very big bucks for one. Unfortunately, reports I have read claim that the DOHC version does not have all that much more power potential over the more conventional SOHC L6 heads.

I believe the 432 came mated atop the lowly L20a 2 litre in Japanese domesic Fairlady Zs and was primarily used in Japanese police cars.

Eric Neyerlin

Guest lambsr

Eric, the Z432 used the S20 engine which was originally developed by Prince for one of their racing cars. Nissan picked this engine up in the buy-out deal, but it has little relationship to the L-series engines.

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

The head your referring to is the OS Giken TG24-B1. They sold for over $12,000, and they're out of production.

The company now makes parts for Skylines, mainly...

If it was on a 240Z rally car it would more likely have been the Nissan "LY" crossflow head, which was designed to mate to the L-series 6 block. This was a single cam, two-valve hemi-chambered design. The full conversion had a special crank, rods and pistons too.

The whole kit was available from Nissan in Japan via their Sports Option parts lists, from around late 1973 onwards.

There's a few of them still around in Japan and they come up for sale from time to time. Last one I saw at auction had a minimum price of 2 million Yen, and it was not even complete.

Alan T.

I've heard the number 18% used as the rough power potential difference between a crossflow and non-crossflow head. Thats quite a bit!

Like any "rule of thumb" make sure you know who's thumb is being used for the measurement.

If it was on a 240Z rally car it would more likely have been the Nissan "LY" crossflow head, which was designed to mate to the L-series 6 block.

HS30-H I do belive that only the 260z's got the LY heads so it leads me to belive that its an 432 if it was a fairlady.

Also OS Giken now makes clutch and drive tain parts not just Skyline parts Datsun Dude.

As for the TC24-B1 it was produced and from a recent fax that I received from OS Giken at the end of this year they will be reconsidering this part for reproduction, lucky for us that thier president at the moment is the one who designed the TC24-B1. So we might once again have a chance for this part I know I'll be saving my pennies for one and if I get one I don't know if I would want to use it or display it, it's so gorgous.

Also I've heard the 18% increase in power but you must remeber that they used different hardware alround like New pistons which would have an effect on power.

As for a cross flow head what cars in the 80's came with an L6 crossflow head I'm sure it could be grafted on to our blocks no big deal just as long as we can set up our distributors. Thats the reason I've turned away from an RB head but I would like to know if any RB heads were chain driven if so then I could possibly set something up with proboly a 300zx distributor. and the 280zxt CAS disk if your not already using 84 and up ECCS like me.

tbs

Guest Anonymous

I meant domed pistons--should have proof read the post before I submitted it.

By the way, when I say HEMI, I'm not talking about big block pushrod motors. I'm refering to the hemispherical combustion chamber disign of the TG24-B1. RB series motors have that same design, and are therefore, by nature, HEMI's.

HS30-H I do belive that only the 260z's got the LY heads so it leads me to belive that its an 432 if it was a fairlady.tbs

No 'Works' built Nissan S30-series Z Rally car was ever fitted with the S20 engine. Period.

The 'Works' Circuit race and Rally cars are my pet subject, so you might want to have a good hand if you fancy a game of Top Trumps with me. :wink:

If you want to split hairs about the designation of the 'LY' Crossflow engines that were fitted to 'Works' Rally cars, then you had better know what you are talking about. They were being used on the HS30 and HLS30 model Rally cars by the 1974 season, and by the Works circuit racers before that - so talking about them only being fitted to '260Z' models is looking at it from the wrong way. When the LY was fitted to the L24 block they used a bigger bore and the Option rods and Crank. Basically, the only common component with the normal L24 was the block. When they started to use them on the RS30 and RLS30 models, they used the longer stroke version of the Option crank and L26 block, and so on.

The ultimate pure Factory development of the LY was the LY28 used in the Grand Champion Series race cars, utilising dry sumps and fuel injection.

A semi-Works supported effort in European circuit racing during the late 1970's - based at JANSPEED in the UK - used the LY28 in single and twin-turbo form.

I notice that it has only taken you a few weeks to become an expert on the S20 / LY / TC24-B1 engines. I am already nostalgic for the days when you did not know your RB from your BR, or your SOHC from your DOHC.

And what's this about getting a fax from O.S.Giken at the end of the year? Its only a few short weeks ago that you did not know them from Adam. Are you being slightly economical with the truth, or is this just a typo?

Alan T.

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I think I know what head your talking about; the LY, I mean...

There was a fairlady in Sport Compact Car Mag. awhile back(maybe two years), and I believe it had a cross fplow head. The car had like a six page spread...

If anyone's interested, they should go to SCC's website, try to find the issue and purchase it...

HS30-H I didn't get a fax at the end of the year it was a few weeks ago, it said in it that at the end of this year there company will reconsider production of the head. If you want a scan of it I'll do that no problem. I don't know why your getting all upset with me, were all here to help and thats what I'm doing.

tbs

Guest Anonymous
HS30-H I didn't get a fax at the end of the year it was a few weeks ago, it said in it that at the end of this year there company will reconsider production of the head. If you want a scan of it I'll do that no problem. I don't know why your getting all upset with me, were all here to help and thats what I'm doing.

Right on, Brotha--Fight the power!