HybridZ

Anyone care to guess how THIS happened (pix inside)

I was bleeding my brakes last night after doing a bit of hardline re-routing and noticed the damage to the hardline/softline bracket on the rear drivers side line.  Something hit the line HARD as it sheared the bracket off the rail as seen in the photos.  I have no idea how this could have happened.  Fortunately the ss brake line survived the impact but there is enough damage that I am picking up a new one tomorrow.

Thoughts as to how this could have happened?

post-1734-0-91712900-1359507996_thumb.jpg

Caliper hit the line, and busted the bracket off. Extreme suspension compression, likely.

Mine did the same thing, on the same side of the car, when I had an unplanned off-road experience early in my experience driving my newly-drivable S30.

Yep, replace the line...the notch you see in the ferrule will start leaking in a few days otherwise...Mine did, anyway.

Test: with the car on jackstands, jack up the control arm and observe the caliper and brake line as the control arm moves up.  Check both sides.

It is always a good practice  to check out the dynamics of how things work when modifying brakes/suspension.

I am using the MM 240SX rear brake kit and I had to remove the hardline brackets which required  longer SS flex lines.

Thanks.  I thought it may have been the caliper, but I did not see any signs of distress on the caliper (it is painted in red).

Miles, I too am using the MM 240sx rear brake kit.  The passenger side uses a much longer line and I was able to use the stock mounting on the driver side.  Saying that, I am buying a longer line tomorrow and will relocate the hard point.

I am trying to figure out the extreme suspension compression scenario though.  No unplanned off-road excursions, but the roads around here leave a bit to be desired.  Maybe a rather abrupt  change in pavement could have lead to it.

When it happened to me, I actually pinched the line in half, after bending the hard point up pretty smartly. I was lowered well below where I normally drive the car due to having the old, worn-out 87lb springs on the back and a full tank of fuel, leaving me with about a 3.25" ride height at the bottom of the rockers.

Bo,

That doesn't look like impact, it looks like abrasion. The wires on the braid would cut from impact, they look abraded. Like rubbing not hitting. Though a repeated tick-tick-tick of impact over time would start to abrade...

Is there a mating "polished area" on any moving components that could contact it? (Caliper, Rotor, whatever?)