HybridZ

Direct drive three speed furnace blower motors - will they spin when unpowered

NewZed

Way off topic, but worth a shot...

Does anyone know if a direct drive three speed furnace blower motor should spin freely when unpowered?  Unfamiliar with most AC circuitry and trying to upgrade my heating system.  Can't tell if a blower is locked up or normal.  Olsen WML-80.

Thanks.

3-in-1 Oil every season, later supplanted by "Mouse Milk"!

Blower died finally... 1975-2011.

Replaced whole furnace with one of them newfangled ones. My heating bill is now lower, with the temperature 10degrees higher, and the temperature is more consistent than with the old furnace. Plus I got one of them bitchin' new programmable thermostats that drops the house to 40 degrees when I'm away!

Yeah, I may have to change mine. As much as I love the preprogrammed preheat and cool period, it only accommodates an 'away' time of 30 days before it resumes normal heating schedule. I may have to get an internet integrated thermostat with a wifi link. Then I can just turn it off....

Which is what I do most of the year anyway. From about MSA to Empire Z Show, the thing isn't even turned on! Ditching the pilot light saves $11 a month.... Same on the cooktop in the kitchen. Got rid of both pilot lights and huzzah! Last item is the water heater. And debating on that one. Only about 10 yrs old now, but still has a pilot light. If I could go to hot wire ignitor, and put some 110V preheaters on the faucets in the far bathroom and kitchen I think it would be ideal for savings. You have seen my FB on the electric shower I just added to my place in the PI, right?

And "I reserve the right to sitebash."