HybridZ

L6 water pump pulley nut size.

brianZortiz

Hi, I am doing a rebuild/upgrade on my L6 engine and I lost all 4 water pump pulley nuts. The ones that hold down pulley via the studs from water pump. If any one can please tell me what size are the nuts so I can purchase them ASAP at a hardware store. If I had atleast one I could take it to a machinist who gives me info on threads and size, etc... I dont have one single one.

Thanks

Brian O.

M6 x 1.0 Class 10.9.  The studs in the water pump can be removed.  When getting new nuts it's helpful to get them with 10mm hex vs 11mm.  A lot of hardware store variety like to use the 11mm as it's very close to 7/16.  Problem is it makes installation more difficult. 

I use studs and nuts, another option is to use socket head cap screws (Allen Screws). Those Allens ate nice! No clearance problem at all, and nice hardened washers make for a nice clean looking assembly!

Brian,

Anything you need you can get at McFadden-Dale Hardware in Anaheim, Corona, Ontario, Sant-Ana...etc.

Edited by Tony D

Thanks Tony. Yah I had a hard time removing the nuts. I'm assuming your suggestion helps for a easy install/removal too. I appreciate it. I will see if I can head down to one of the stores. Funny thing is I went to mcmastercarr a couple of weeks back to pickup some weatherstrip thanks to your suggestion in another post.

You were only about 20 minutes max from the Anaheim store.

It's off 91 at Kraemer Glassel. Go north over the freeway, turn left at the light (Texaco/Carl's).

They are down the block on the right just past the light at Red Gum.

The Corona store is on the other side of the Canyon off the 91...

Bring a list. I bought a slew of their stainless steel button-headed Allen Screws, you can buff the heads with a wheel chucked in a drill and jewler's rouge (also available there on the same aisle as the porting cartridge rolls & arbors...) they look like chrome, and nicely finish off as plugs for all the tapped holes in manifolds, holding the fenders on, etc...

Once you get in there, take the time to look around. They got one of everything!

My preference is the Corona Store as they open at 630 (un officially) and I can pick stuff up on the way into jobs.

Same for Ontario store, but they aren't as extensive as the Anaheim and Corona store yet.. But getting there. That one is on Grove south of I10, hidden on a cul de sac. Just past Misson, there is a road you turn right on at the "American Hose" -- follow it as it curves to the feet and McFaddens is at the back of the cul de sac to the right.

That one is I between all the foreign junkyards up and down Mission! How convenient!