HybridZ

Anyone have a before and after weight reduction quarter miles?

i've been looking online for any type of before and after for this for the last few hours, and can't find anything.

i'm just curious as to truly how much weight plays a factor in quarter miles.

i've heard these 100bs to .1 sec stories, but that just goes out the window when you look at a stock 300zx NA vs turbo it's a full 1sec difference when based on these stories it should be .2sec.

so I'd love if anyone had some first hand experience with dramatic weight loss for quarter mile times.

Basically, how does a 2800lb 280z fair against a 2300lb 240z with the same engine/hp.

The 240z is gonna win, if all else is equal.  But nothing else is ever equal for those tests.  Build your car light as possible and as powerful as possible, then tell us your results.

Yeah, I know the 240z will win. I'm just wondering by how much.

Just trying to decide if getting a 240z shell would be worth it to swap over from my 280z.

Just trying to decide if getting a 240z shell would be worth it to swap over from my 280z.

None of us here can answer "worth it" questions.  That's something you'll have to answer for yourself.  Doing the swap could cost you $100 or $10,000 and only you can determine if the money and effort involved is "worth it."

Weight is almost always a factor in most kinds of racing. Save yourself some greif and find a lighter model. Unless of course you plan on doing extensive modifications to the body.

As to the worth it, John is right. There are so many other variables to consider, like creature comforts, engine, engine build, drivetrain set up etc....

Weight is almost always a factor in most kinds of racing. Save yourself some greif and find a lighter model. Unless of course you plan on doing extensive modifications to the body.

As to the worth it, John is right. There are so many other variables to consider, like creature comforts, engine, engine build, drivetrain set up etc....

i just wanted to know how big of a difference it makes in 1/4 mile times.

basically if dropping from 2800lbs to 2300lbs makes that big of a difference with the same exact setup, it's worth it.

if it makes it brake better by a few feet, drops quarters by a whole second with around 250rwhp, and can take a corner 5-10mph faster. that's worth it.

Edited by Milenko2121

Take your car to the track and find your best time.  Go get 600 pounds of play sand bags (save the receipt) and put it in your car.  Run again.  Return the sandbags.  There's your answer.  With an L6, 600 pounds is gonna kick your ask.

One other thing I would consider .    Comparing a 2800lb. 280z vs 2300lb. 240z may not be a realistic picture. If your goal is to have a car that will take some weekend thrashing the 280z offers some advantages, the rearend as well as other things will hold up better.  Shed the bumpers and anything else that is not important on your car and the real difference is not  600lbs.