HybridZ

Trim Removal

I just started the body work on my 280ZX today, fixing the only dent and welding in new metal that has rusted away in some areas. I have a dent behind the right rear wheel. There is a rusty area that was caused by the dent. I need to know the best way to get the trim piece off (pictured). I guess it's glued on? Should I scrape it off or should I apply a solvent? Any ideas? Thanks...

post-8737-0-20000100-1362795548_thumb.jpg

I've removed these type trim pieces with a heat gun. Warm it up, then gently peel it back from one side to another. I cannot remember if it has tabs that lead into the body or not, I'm thinking..no.

But, be careful of the adhesive they use once warm, it has the potential to get everywhere you don't want it to be.

If they are held on with two sided type tape, you can use the technique I use.

I use some fishing line, 15 lbs test IIRC, and use it to cut through the tape in a sawing motion. It leaves some of the tape on the panel, that can then be removed using some mild solvent and rags.

There is a tool for removing body moulding and emblems without Pegs. Its a wide flat plastic tool. Ask your matco man about the 5 peice plastic interior/trim removal tools. Cheap and handy. I dont use them at the body shop but I use them at home!

Edited by Heroez

Ah, I have fixed that several times. I have always made my own patch, but if the entire bottom lip is gone, I would have to make it, or get a pre made patch panel. The cowl drains down into the fender. Over time, pine needles, twigs, leaves, pollen build up at the bottom. They decay into sludge dirt which holds moisture. Then it rusts out. As a matter of fact, I know where some good fenders are to replace or donate to your fenders. I dont need your whole car. If you could remove the fenders, that is all I would need.

That is a lot. I would say check/clean every year or two (if your car isnt garaged) would be plenty unless you find it to be problematic. If you feel creative, make a tube that runs from the cowl dump, down through the drain hole in the fender. That way the water/dirt would drain through the tube and never touch your metal. Ive had a door drain clog up too. Slosh sound opening the door. Poked the drain hole a bit and pissed out at least a gallon. Also regularly check the spare tire well. Hatch windows often leak and water may collect there. Another place to check after a good watering is the carpet. Just feel around. I had a massive leak on one zx because of a bad windsheild install. My first clue to find it was a wet hand.