HybridZ

Is this considered a low vin?

Personally it's 06330.& 06225, one is RHD, one is LHD.

Made an offer on RLS30-000039, was a very nice car at the time... Not so much now.

Subsequent owners were parts vampires...

Technically I owned S30-03471 as well, but I don't want to relive that episode again...

Ive seen 13 which is the first z sold in the states. Ive also seen 32, 29 and a few low vin others in a guys warehouse. Here in NJ. 

That wouldn't be the dude that owns the Lynne's Nissan dealerships would it? I've seen their Z storage (or at least one of them) downstairs from their service center in Stanhope. It's a z-gasm down there.

I have number 000979 which I got for free :)  even though it was a running car, and was repainted... I found some rust on it, so thats when I decided to take it apart and restore it, I have spent a lot of time and its not close to done, but it will be in perfect condition when Im done.  I did have to find an e31 head(someone put on an e88 which wasn't period correct) but it was be a sweet ride.  

Looken at a 1970 240z with a 4800 vin. Car is in ruff shape. Is it even worth the effort to get it back on its feet? Its been sitting for years. The motor is original and is not frozen. Let me hear your two cents!

Honestly if you want a 240z, you can just find a better shape one.  But if you want to restore it then its up to you if you want to put in the time and effort.  Being its a 1970 year it should be the lightest of the Z's around, but if your looking to do a swap you might have some problems with flexing depending when your plans are when your done.  1970 year is still pretty early in my opinion, but also depends on the price of the car...how much is the car btw? Any pics?

That wouldn't be the dude that owns the Lynne's Nissan dealerships would it? I've seen their Z storage (or at least one of them) downstairs from their service center in Stanhope. It's a z-gasm down there.

Hmmm not sure? I saw him twice at NYZCC events. He's an elderly gentleman, so not sure if he still would own the dealerships if he has. The 13 z is that mustard color, now its restored to running condition.

Hmmm not sure? I saw him twice at NYZCC events. He's an elderly gentleman, so not sure if he still would own the dealerships if he has. The 13 z is that mustard color, now its restored to running condition.

Honestly I have no idea what he looks like. I semi-knew the service manager at the location in Stanhope, and he took me down for a tour of the "basement". Lots of classic Z's down there, including a two-tone 2+2 that I was told was pretty rare. I've never researched it myself, so I just went with it because I had no idea. Some gorgeous original cars down there though, mostly under covers and in what appears to be original condition.  

Very cool! Yea lynne has a dealership up here and it cool. He has some neat painting of z car's. But I dont think that is the #13 guy. I have heard of the "basement tour" before, maybe I should head up there and check it out :)

And for posting purposing to not thread jack I think a low vin 240z is 500 and lower, hell having 999 would be pretty cool too lol. Vins to me dont matter if you find a low vin z but it needs 50k to get it fully restored all out verses a 75 280z 300k+ 150k miles that is very clean(meaning not a rust bucket)...I mean the choice seems logical. No one is going to know its low vin unless you tell them or they look.

Vins to me dont matter if you find a low vin z but it needs 50k to get it fully restored all out verses a 75 280z 300k+ 150k miles that is very clean(meaning not a rust bucket)...I mean the choice seems logical. No one is going to know its low vin unless you tell them or they look.

You can spend all the money in the world on a 75 280Z, and never get a dime back.

Spend that money on a 240 with a low VIN (Under 1000 say...) and there is a glimmering chance in hell when a cold wind blows you will see a return on it.

In other words, you could take that $50,000 and restore that Low VIN 240, and get $32,000 out of it when you're done.

Take that same $50,000 and spend it on a 75 280Z, and you might get $15,000 out of it. Maybe...

Or another example:

You could spend $32,000 restoring a$700 rust-bucket low-VIN 240Z, and get $32,000 when you're done.

You could buy that 75 280Z for $5,000, put $10-15,000 into it and get $10-15,000 out of it.

Either way, you're (only) out the purchase price! (If you're lucky!)

Logical? Hmmmmmm...

The choice seems logical only if you don't think in terms of recovering monies spent, or time spent. If you're buying a car and DON'T look at the VIN, you are either a starry-eyed kid with unrealistic  dreams of glory, or Sling-Blade!

Hard rules about vehicles which almost never change:

Given similar condition, for vehicles in a given model run:

Earlier examples bring more money when sold.

"Favorite Years" bring more money when sold. (240Z EARLY 70's and 72's)

Matching Numbers bring more money when sold.

Edited by Tony D

I completely agree tony. Essentially to me Z's aren't worth flipping. I believe its a car purely for having the experience to restore/build one and of course owning a s30. Just like in one of the current threads of a budge resto to flip...not worth it. If its an American muscle car sure you will get big bucks but anything else wont yield the same. However I believe the US 280z has more value than a 260z, it just seems that the 260z is worthless lol. Like I said if you are getting a low vin z it should be for the experience and I guess if its low enough bragging rights. Other wise not worth restoring to flip. Only you will know its low vin unless you tell people.

I can spot a low-vin car on sight, as can most people who know what they're looking for.

A $32,000 resto is hardly a "flip"

Deciding rationally how much money you choose to waste pursuing any end is purely up to the individual.

Most low-vin cars aren't sold to the general public, same as 432's or early GTR's in Japan. Everybody knows everybody else and while a car may be "advertised", many times the deal is done because someone heard someone else is thinking of selling and a deal was struck.

Your comment about American Muscle might hold some water in the USA, but that's not a world stage. The USA is the source for current "flips" into Japan as well as Europe. I have seen cars unrestored have offers in excess of €100,000, and at the same time chassis that were sold from my back yard under $2,000 flip as a rolling competition chassis after 400 hours of labor for €75,000.

It depends on where you are and where your target market lies. No doubt if you restrict your target market in North America as most Americans would, you have a hard sell.

But flipping "free" for $2,000 with nothing more than a phone call is pretty good. And that market DOES exist for the Z's, but only if you look for it.

A 57 210 Four Door Chevy is just another car, whereas a BelAir Convertible Coupe is another thing entirely. As we only ever got 210-Style Stripped Content Z's, the compare really isn't valid. The most we got were sticker packages and a wheel option or two.

Plenty of FuryIII's out there for $1,000. You won't "turn one into a hemi" and make a bundle as easily as you think. There was a red push button hemi that sold at Barrett Jackson in early 2003 I think, the documentation to prove that car was really what it was is what commanded to price, not the actual car. If it was complete, without the restoration, and with documentation, the profit on the flip would have been more. But because a lot of the labor on the car was "free" just to get it to auction and see "what this POS would fetch at BJ" the economics were skewed. You make $100,000 on a car that takes $75,000 to construct... May as well flip 25 bare jap Z chassis a year and make double that! Lot less work!

Value added...

Sometimes isn't!

Edited by Tony D