HybridZ

Z died at intersection! NEED HELP.

Car was running great. Just filled up w/premium. Drove about 10 miles 5 of which on the highway. Got off the exit and it just died.

I did last night take the idle air control valve off and capped the ports. That's the only thing I've changed.

I know I'm getting fuel. I can see the psi on the rail gauge. It hits so I know I have spark. Just at a loss. Stuck at a ghetto BP station. HELP!

Well if you have spark, and fuel. (and have confirmed this 100%)

You need air.

I'm assuming, but it sounds like you are using the stock 280z intake system. So I'd be looking at your air flow meter. inspect that, and check for vacuum leaks, tears in the boots, unplugged wires...etc.

I'd start there...

Best of luck! I hope you figure it out.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Any way to check battery voltage (not using the gauge)? Do a parasitic draw test?

A multimeter would be your best friend right now.

Are your gauges working?

Lights dim?

Could definitely be a charging/low voltage problem.

If the car does start. Before it dies, quickly check voltage with the car running, see if you're getting the 14+ volts you require to charge your battery.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

I've been there man, except is was with SU's.  My friend had 280z's FI system cut out on him about a week ago and it turns that he had an oil leak right ontop of his alternator and fried the entire thing, his system was not getting any charge at all.  Might want to look into that.

As Old Andy implied, the fact that it ran for a little while after a jump suggests that your battery is dead.  Apparently the EFI systems don't like low voltage.

What does your voltmeter show before and while trying to start?  A new battery might get you home.

Another thought is that the Fireball coil is low resistance on the primary side.  That could damage your ignition module, especially if the ballast resistor is removed also.  You'll get more current through the whole circuit.  Ignition modules are hard to diagnose though, but they do tend to fail when hot.

Edited by NewZed